Low Gravity - is there a chance it will still taste good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
I made a feeble attempt at Edworts Haus Pale using a very 2 lbs of vienna and .5 20L Crystal. I did the PM method that was posted on that Haus pale ale thread using a pot to mash in on the stove. After the mash i used 4 lbs of LME to supplement the mash. Anyway, my original gravity was 1.030. Aside from the fact that this beer wont be very alcoholic, is there a chance it will still taste good? If it was only 1% alcohol but tasted great, that would be a success in my book.

I just made an English Bitter that came in at 1.034, and even the hydrometer sample tasted great. I can't wait for it to condition! :)

I am not a big fan of pre fermented brew. I think this brew had a very quick fermentation so i might sample it here soon and i will let you know how it is.

Redskins838892 said:
I made a feeble attempt at Edworts Haus Pale using a very 2 lbs of vienna and .5 20L Crystal. I did the PM method that was posted on that Haus pale ale thread using a pot to mash in on the stove. After the mash i used 4 lbs of LME to supplement the mash. Anyway, my original gravity was 1.030. Aside from the fact that this beer wont be very alcoholic, is there a chance it will still taste good? If it was only 1% alcohol but tasted great, that would be a success in my book.
What is your batch size? 4# of LME and a 2.5# PM sounds pretty light for a 5gal batch.
1.030 is a pretty lite beer but if done right it should have enough flavor to be good. I did a Brown Mild Mild that started about 1.034 and finished about 1.014 for a <3%ABV beer. It was quite good and very drinkable.
Next time look at your recipe as I think Ed's Ale is supposed to have a higher OG.
Craig

Yea, the OG was suppose to be 1.054 so its certainly very low, but i have a feeling it should come out good. I was quite surprised at how quick the Nottingham dry yeast took off. I just straight dumped the pack into the fermenter. I really want to get into AG but its against the law to have a fryer on my balcony. I just bought a 31 qt stock pot and i am able to boil about 6 gallons by putting this massive pot across 2 burners on the stove. It took about 45 min. I read that article about wrapping the reflective insulation around your pot. I just made the reflective brew pot jacket and i am running a water trial now. Hopefully it will heat up quicker.

Back