Low gas flow from a solenoid valve.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javert

Reaction score
Hi, we're on the process of building a more automated rig for brewing. We acquired a solenoid valve to control the gas flow for an Anvil burner (45 000 btu). To our dismay, the gas flow is very low and flames coming from the burner are very small, like 1,5 cm height when the valve is opened to the max.

The valve is rated for a 0.5 - 10 kgf / cm2 (7.1 - 142 psi) operating pressure and the opening is specified as 15 mm. The opening looked good enough, but maybe the pressure required to operate the valve is too high. Can anyone chime in? Are zero pressure valves recommended for both gas and wort pumping in brewing rigs?

I don’t have any experience with solenoid valves in a brewing setup but I happen to work as a rep for a solenoid valve manufacturer. You may not be hitting your minimum operating pressure and likely need a direct acting gas valve rated for the application. May I ask what valve you are currently using?

Last edited:
Is this a propane setup or natural gas?
If it's propane and the regulator being used has a plastic ACME nut tank coupler, the flame height suggests the Excess Flow Check valve built into the ACME nut is triggering when the solenoid opens.
To test this theory, close the cylinder valve and the regulator, then open the cylinder valve, then open your solenoid valve, THEN open the regulator. If you can dial up a respectable flame height in this manner, suspect the EFC valve.

fwiw, POL style regulators are not plagued with an EFC...

Cheers!

Solution turned out to be simpler than anything: we had put the valve in the backward direction!! :(

In our defense, no arrows or IN-OUT marks where provided but yeah, still new in it.

@day_trippr we did skip the usual regulator the Anvil burner was provided with in favor of a full two manometer regulator to be sure. Now flames come high as expected.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Latest posts

Back