Want to eventually convert Honeywell natural gas valve and burners to propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernutz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a single tier 3 vessel natural gas powered herms system I built several years ago which works well and has given me zero trouble other than the self-inflicted kind so I'd like to continue using it for the foreseeable future.

However it appears that in the next couple of years we will likely move from a house with a natural gas supply to one without. The easiest, and cheapest, way to continue using my current system would be to convert it to propane.

The stand uses two wok burners made for natural gas which shouldn't be too difficult to either convert or replace so it seems the complexity would be converting the Honeywell VR8200A gas valve to use high pressure propane instead of low pressure natural gas.

Googling shows me a Honeywell $8 natural gas to LP conversion kit but that seems too easy so I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has actually done such a conversion.

If the wok burners are multi-tip jets you'll need to replace the tips - or the entire burner assembly - with "high pressure" propane versions.
As for the VR8200A, you'll want to confirm this, but I believe part number 394588 is the NG to LP conversion kit, and it wouldn't surprise me that it could be found for that $8. Looking at the parts it's a dead simple conversion as well...

Cheers!

Back