Low efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefjp

Reaction score
Hello.

Even though I have tried a lot of things, cant seem to boost my efficiency. I brewed today and i got 60%. i want to but it up at least to 70%.

Here is my set up:

10 gl Igloo cooler with a cpvc

Ill try to get pictures

Here is what i did today
IPA
5 gallons
estimated og 1.066

12 pounds 10 oz 2-row pale malt
14 oz caramel 60l

Single infusión mash at 152°f for 1 hr with 16.9 qt water, stired at 30 min.

Recirculated, drained and added 4.17 gl wáter at 164°f
stired, and recirculated, drained at a very slow rate.

boil volumen 6.5gl

Chilled to 70°

measured OG with temp adjustment 1.058

Im adding a picture of my crushed grains

Screenshot_2014-08-26-13-43-03-1.png

Mash PH? Mill gap?

Start with those two. Also, don't get hung up on having a big efficiency number, it's more important to have a repeatable number.

PS, the grain pictured looks ok from what little I can see, but tbh it's kinda blurry, so it's impossible to see the grains/husks....etc...

Are you trying to measure mash efficiency or brew house efficiency? You need your pre-boil gravity and volume to determine mash efficiency.

Tighten the gap on your crush. I just did it on mine since the eff was declining. i think the gap was widening just slightly every time i used it. went from upper 80s when i first got it to mid 60s in my last batch. i will see if it improves tomorrow when i brew my next batch.

I don't batch sparge, so someone might correct me if I am wrong here, but it seems to me like your temps are low so you might not be getting good flow of your sugars out during your sparge. I fly sparge and bring temp up to 168ish as a mashout before starting to run off, but you could add some hot water to get the same effect. Also, you are adding 164 degree water for your second batch so with a grain temp of no more than 152 (and you have probably lost some heat by now) you are not going to get the sugar temps up to anywhere near the 164. I would take the temp of that water up a bit as well at least to 170 if not a little more.

I think that should give you a little more viscosity in the sugars and help your efficiency.

Back