Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Threatening sky tonight. It moved past without getting me wet.
1631750774260.png

So... bogied the hole? :rolleyes:

Brew on :mug:

LOL... I sent it to one of my playing partners and he just replied... "Nice par." I thought that was cold lol...

I made birdie.

Dayum. I hit one almost that far once, but I got a bounce on a cart path :)

I've had a few "cart path assist" 300s in my day :D

I never understood the desire to stand in almost the direct line of fire regardless of who's hitting the ball.
What if someone's severely hungover or they caught a spouse cheating in the last 24 hours?
No thank you.

Last edited:
I find that a lot. Keep it simple. Don't think too much. Aim for the middle of the green. As soon as I try to bend or shape the ball i sink. Maybe if I master the hitting the ball straight and to the middle of the green i can get fancy. Brain is a huge enemy with trying to do too much. Get to my wedge off the tee and then try to hit middle of my green bored me tho. I see water!

Last edited:
hit the ball better than usual.
I've notice that as well. There's something about walking away for a minute and then coming back refreshed. It applies to studying a subject and solving problems as well. Maybe it could apply to a hand-eye type of activity.
It SEEMS that one shed the negative during the absence and keeps the positive.

Last month a friend of friend got steamed rolled by the secret service. Said he was really nice. He's always up in Maine. I use to easily do 2 hr rounds at my clubView attachment 739892

That's super cool. He seems like someone who would be fun to have a beer with. His father on a golf course not so much. Hw's golf rules were no talking, and no laughing. Quite a golfing story here, his grandfather, paternal, was president of the usga in case one didnt know. And his great grandfather maternal was to, that's what the w and hw is all about. George herbert walker was usga president, and they named the walker cup after him.

Sucks, thought we were going to move and changed mind so took simulator down, and need to put it back up. Also havent played much. Went out two weeks ago and shot 84 with 6 3 putts so super happy. The touch with putter and short game goes first. Glad to see everyone playing and hitting some good shots. I am working on a more piercing ball flight. It seems more accurate then a ballooning ball flight, but i would be cool with either if they work.

I LOVE this ball retriever. My last one fell apart completely. It was that sort that you cock, then it snaps closed around the ball. It worked OK, so I used it for years.

But this replacement is FAR SUPERIOR. It's a little heavier (bad), extends a lot farther (don't really care about that), but it's DYNOMITE at picking up the ball. Nothing to cock afterwards, feels like it'll last forever. No springs, snapping gizmos. We'll see about that. The thing is so simple, literally one moving part and no springs. Great engineering is a sight to behold.

Amazon.com : Callaway "15th Club Golf Ball Retriever for Water, Telescopic to 15' with Dual-Zip Headcover : Golf Ball Retrievers : Sports & Outdoors

Went up to Maine for a couple of days and hit a course on my bucket list. Nice warm days and cool nights. Course had a little bit of a challenge for a resort course. Back tees had multiple 200+ par 3's. Greens were firm. Par 71 to make you feel good :)

Couldn't preview my pix so here half of em
IMG_20211012_163253.jpg
IMG_20211012_131436.jpg
IMG_20211012_124021.jpg
IMG_20211012_123331.jpg
IMG_20211012_123317.jpg
IMG_20211012_123314.jpg
IMG_20211012_104441.jpg
IMG_20211012_111042.jpg
IMG_20211012_111037.jpg
IMG_20211012_104542.jpg
IMG_20211012_102358.jpg
IMG_20211012_103757.jpg
IMG_20211012_102348.jpg
IMG_20211012_095700.jpg
IMG_20211012_123417.jpg

Last edited:
I LOVE this ball retriever. My last one fell apart completely. It was that sort that you cock, then it snaps closed around the ball. It worked OK, so I used it for years.

But this replacement is FAR SUPERIOR. It's a little heavier (bad), extends a lot farther (don't really care about that), but it's DYNOMITE at picking up the ball. Nothing to cock afterwards, feels like it'll last forever. No springs, snapping gizmos. We'll see about that. The thing is so simple, literally one moving part and no springs. Great engineering is a sight to behold.

Amazon.com : Callaway "15th Club Golf Ball Retriever for Water, Telescopic to 15' with Dual-Zip Headcover : Golf Ball Retrievers : Sports & Outdoors
Back when I had one, I would come to a heavy loaded spot and be there for an hour grabbing dozens😂😂😂miss those days, need a new one. I remember a lot of people would notice it and have some smart a... comment about how it defined me as a golfer. Mind you they are the first to ask to borrow it😁. I never paid any attention and smiled when I pulled free prov1s out of my bag. Thanks for posting the link, will check it out.

It is. It's a working harbor and you see every kind of boat. The course is on a nice lot of land with elevation. The fairways may look open but theyre shaped for challenges. Trees are there for a reason and there's a couple of streams that meander at 200 yds. The back nine goes up and back into the woods but keeps giving glimpses of the harbor. One of the greens where I didn't bring the camera a beautiful sailboat was going by and as I walked off the green and looked down off the cliff a couple of lobster boats were pulling up traps.

The turf was in great shape. Usually being on the coast you get a little crusty or wild but it was pure on and off the green. Great weather too. Almost a little bit but then crisp fall nights and maybe some fog in the morning.

You can rent that cabin in the 9th and 3rd pic. it was avail and at a great rate. Just a little above a dirt cheap rate we got for our room. I told my buddy if I was forced to do "together time" I'd be more than happy sitting on the deck cooking, eating and drinking. Only issue would be to get three couples agree to go in together.

It is. It's a working harbor and you see every kind of boat. The course is on a nice lot of land with elevation. The fairways may look open but theyre shaped for challenges. Trees are there for a reason and there's a couple of streams that meander at 200 yds. The back nine goes up and back into the woods but keeps giving glimpses of the harbor. One of the greens where I didn't bring the camera a beautiful sailboat was going by and as I walked off the green and looked down off the cliff a couple of lobster boats were pulling up traps.

The turf was in great shape. Usually being on the coast you get a little crusty or wild but it was pure on and off the green. Great weather too. Almost a little bit but then crisp fall nights and maybe some fog in the morning.

You can rent that cabin in the 9th and 3rd pic. it was avail and at a great rate. Just a little above a dirt cheap rate we got for our room. I told my buddy if I was forced to do "together time" I'd be more than happy sitting on the deck cooking, eating and drinking. Only issue would be to get three couples agree to go in together.

Oh man, rent a cabin on that course? Talk about heaven.

Yesterday I had my best round since I started playing again last year. (Admittedly, that's a low bar, but still . . .). With only a few exceptions, I was hitting my irons in the sweet spot, instead of hitting thin, fat or off the toe.

I can't say that I've "found my swing" because, just as I can't always figure out what I'm doing wrong, I'm not sure what I was doing right. But I'll take it, until the next time when the golf gods may decide to have a little fun with me.

Finally getting some cooler weather down here. 75F as the sun came down. Pic below is the 16th hole, where I hit a whopper drive. I was heading toward it then stopped to take a photo of the sun setting between the trees, then noticed that some yahoos were inspecting my ball. You see them up the fairway, right of the bunkers. Elevated green is behind those bunkers, which is why I stay right on this hole.

1635897842009.png

Cooler! Cooler!? I just made tee times for Friday! Early tee times! Thursday and Friday night is gonna hit in the 20's in my town. Well actually the course is just down the road from the new Treehouse brewery on Cape Cod. Suppose to be only lows in the 40's there. High of 50.

I actually like this time of the year as the crowds are smaller and if you wear black it's perfect temp. Only problem is the shortening of daylight. No tee times after 12 following this weekend.

Cooler! Cooler!? I just made tee times for Friday! Early tee times! Thursday and Friday night is gonna hit in the 20's in my town. Well actually the course is just down the road from the new Treehouse brewery on Cape Cod. Suppose to be only lows in the 40's there. High of 50.

I actually like this time of the year as the crowds are smaller and if you wear black it's perfect temp. Only problem is the shortening of daylight. No tee times after 12 following this weekend.

Haha, I didn't even leave the house until 4. I finished, but skipped two holes - ran into a slow group. I'm not in a hurry, but I play fast. My golf watch says I played for 2:20.

Haha, I didn't even leave the house until 4. I finished, but skipped two holes - ran into a slow group. I'm not in a hurry, but I play fast. My golf watch says I played for 2:20.
Best thing I ever did was ditch my Sat 9am tee time group for late after noon weekday tee times. A round on sat would take 6 hours sometimes. Weekdays I'd watch the online tee sheet and could get done and play in 2 hours. The only problem now is if I play with that group and it's slow? I lose concentration and play like cr*p.

BTW, I upgraded my watch. This thing is stupid expensive, so don't say I didn't tell ya.

I could go on and on about what it can do, but you'll google if you're interested. Anyway, I highly recommend. Garmin Approach S62. Replaces my S60.

Amazon.com: Garmin Approach S62, Premium Golf GPS Watch, Built-in Virtual Caddie, Mapping and Full Color Screen, Black (010-02200-00) : Everything Else

View attachment 747685
I did a lot of research. I bought a Garmin Vivosmart HR like 8 years ago. It's really a health monitor with a golf app. A ton of other useful Geeky apps too. Works perfectly.

I did have to get a return as the first couple of versions of the watch had problems with software. I'm amazed the amount of rounds, heat and sweat it has taken. It's showing it's age with software tho. There's a good possibility that it now doesn't pair with my watch or download the course. To the point where I think I need a new watch.

Best thing I ever did was ditch my Sat 9am tee time group for late after noon weekday tee times. A round on sat would take 6 hours sometimes. Weekdays I'd watch the online tee sheet and could get done and play in 2 hours. The only problem now is if I play with that group and it's slow? I lose concentration and play like cr*p.

I love playing alone. Fast, no distractions, do whatever you want. I bet I play 50 rounds of golf a year alone. I have a bluetooth speaker, play 40's music haha. I had a dude play up to me and join me, said he loved those old tunes. I dunno, not many do.

Saw a bald eagle while playing tonight, and a bobcat (twice). Bobcat was chasing rabbits.

BTW, I upgraded my watch. This thing is stupid expensive, so don't say I didn't tell ya.

I could go on and on about what it can do, but you'll google if you're interested. Anyway, I highly recommend. Garmin Approach S62. Replaces my S60.

Amazon.com: Garmin Approach S62, Premium Golf GPS Watch, Built-in Virtual Caddie, Mapping and Full Color Screen, Black (010-02200-00) : Everything Else

View attachment 747685

Nice lookin' watch!

I did a lot of research. I bought a Garmin Vivosmart HR like 8 years ago. It's really a health monitor with a golf app. A ton of other useful Geeky apps too. Works perfectly.

I did have to get a return as the first couple of versions of the watch had problems with software. I'm amazed the amount of rounds, heat and sweat it has taken. It's showing it's age with software tho. There's a good possibility that it now doesn't pair with my watch or download the course. To the point where I think I need a new watch.

I ended up buying a Fenix 3 HR Sapphire years ago (~mid-2016) primarily for hiking/exercise. I was lucky enough to have a contact hook me up with a Garmin employee/friends/family discount, so thankfully it was 35% off MSRP.

Then late 2020 I saw Amazon with a one-day sale on the Fenix 5X Sapphire for I think $299, and snapped it up in an impulse buy and sold my Fenix 3 on the bay...

I think that the Garmin Approach golf watches are better for golf, but the Fenix series is better for everything else.

So if you're looking at an upgrade, ask yourself whether golf is the primary activity you'll be using it for or whether golf is just one of many. If the latter, something like the Fenix might be a better way to go. If the former, the Approach will have more golf-specific features than the golf app on the Fenix.

Nice lookin' watch!

I ended up buying a Fenix 3 HR Sapphire years ago (~mid-2016) primarily for hiking/exercise. I was lucky enough to have a contact hook me up with a Garmin employee/friends/family discount, so thankfully it was 35% off MSRP.

Then late 2020 I saw Amazon with a one-day sale on the Fenix 5X Sapphire for I think $299, and snapped it up in an impulse buy and sold my Fenix 3 on the bay...

I think that the Garmin Approach golf watches are better for golf, but the Fenix series is better for everything else.

So if you're looking at an upgrade, ask yourself whether golf is the primary activity you'll be using it for or whether golf is just one of many. If the latter, something like the Fenix might be a better way to go. If the former, the Approach will have more golf-specific features than the golf app on the Fenix.
Yup. The HR I was able to get for $150. A lot less than their other offerings. A while back there was a good article on how Garmin's algorithm was far superior on determine heart rate. It did everything I needed and really didn't see a difference in the Fenix except for the price/look. Plus the Fenix was a lot clunkier? Larger in size. The Vivosmart is nice and compact. I like the $150 price point. If I had to deal with the hw/sw issues on paying more I would have been pissed. It took a little bit of talking to but Garmin did replace it. I'm actually quite shocked on how long it survived. Just the battery making it is impressive

Just was on Amazon and saw they were having pre black friday sales. Some Garmin fitness watches but no golf ones yet. I think black Friday was the time I bought both of my golf watches. Keep your eyes peeled.

So, does a GPS watch have more or less the same accuracy as a range finder? Most of the guys I play with use range finders.
Here's an overview article on the differences between the two devices. It does get one thing wrong - a really good GPS (WAAS enabled + receives US & Russian sats) can have the same 1 yard accuracy as a laser.

Here's an overview article on the differences between the two devices. It does get one thing wrong - a really good GPS (WAAS enabled + receives US & Russian sats) can have the same 1 yard accuracy as a laser.

Thanks. I will start with an app for my phone and see how that works. I just downloaded Golf Pad, but cell phone coverage for one of the local courses might be a little dicey.

So, does a GPS watch have more or less the same accuracy as a range finder? Most of the guys I play with use range finders.

One advantage of a range finder is that it gives you distance to the pin. The watch only gives distance to front/middle/back of green, since obviously the pin location changes and it doesn't know where it is.

Granted, it's not like that makes much of a difference to someone of my limited skill... If visually I see it's a center pin and my watch tells me it's 125 to the center and the rangefinder tells me it's 127 to the pin, it's not like I can adjust my shot for that perfect 2-yard discrepancy lol...

The other aspect is slope. I do think some GPS watches know the topography of the course and can give you a "plays like" number that takes into account whether it's uphill or downhill. My Fenix 5X does not have that capability. Most rangefinders have a slope calculation built-in. Mine will tell me it's 127 to the pin but it's playing 120 because it's downhill, or playing 135 because it's uphill, for example.

Costco has a CaddyTek rangefinder with slope for $129. I use it sometimes in addition to the watch when I want that slope calculation.

Just got off the course. LITERALLY, I was told at 3pm when I started that I was the ONLY person on the course. I can confirm, when I got off the course the CEO was walking out and told me I was the only one on there. What a world! (OK, had to play through 6 holes of drizzle, but then the sun came out :) )

Same. Technically, the LIDAR laser should be better, but my buddy who I play with a lot carries one and my watch is always the exact same as what he measures.

FYI, you can lose a rangefinder. I.e., walk out to the tee box, take your measurement, set it on the grass, hit your shot, walk away. Happens ALL the time. And, if it's been raining and the course is cart-path-only, and you have to walk out to your ball in the fairway, have fun carrying that load around the course.

Thanks. I will start with an app for my phone and see how that works. I just downloaded Golf Pad, but cell phone coverage for one of the local courses might be a little dicey.

I used "Hole 19" for a while. Worked great.

One advantage of a range finder is that it gives you distance to the pin. The watch only gives distance to front/middle/back of green, since obviously the pin location changes and it doesn't know where it is.

Granted, it's not like that makes much of a difference to someone of my limited skill... If visually I see it's a center pin and my watch tells me it's 125 to the center and the rangefinder tells me it's 127 to the pin, it's not like I can adjust my shot for that perfect 2-yard discrepancy lol...

The other aspect is slope. I do think some GPS watches know the topography of the course and can give you a "plays like" number that takes into account whether it's uphill or downhill. My Fenix 5X does not have that capability. Most rangefinders have a slope calculation built-in. Mine will tell me it's 127 to the pin but it's playing 120 because it's downhill, or playing 135 because it's uphill, for example.

Costco has a CaddyTek rangefinder with slope for $129. I use it sometimes in addition to the watch when I want that slope calculation.

This S62, just tap the screen and it shows "plays like" to the actual distance. Easy. Here in FL, as flat as it is here, they are always about the same.

Back