Lots of protein coagulation in primary- Any worries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of beer last night and everything seemed to go well, if anything I could sight as an issue, my cool down process took longer than usual, but nothing out of the norm. I had used one whirlflock tablet at 15 minutes. I racked into primary and pitched at around 70 degrees. Checked it this morning and have some nice bubbling already going, but for the first time, I have a LOT of gobules of protein with a nice floating "protein cap" at the top. Is this something I need to take any active steps with or don't sweat it? I usually do not do secondaries, but could if I need to be concerned with any ill affects of all the trub/protein coagulate.

Without seeing what you are talking about, it sounds totally normal. I dump almost all of the trub and hot break into my fermenters. I almost never do a secondary, have only recently started cold crashing and usually the trub compacts on the bottom and the beers are pretty clear.

This is what I got going on. I racked into primary around 9:00 pm last night so approaching 24 hours....
IMG_7070.JPG
IMG_7071.JPG
IMG_7072.JPG

I've seen something like that in my beers. Not quite so much. And I have seen it here on HBT. I think it will settle out after fermentation ends.

Ooh, one of the rare times when the break material makes globs. Looks good to me! Let it ferment out, then bottle it up and send it to me and I'll send you a report on how good it was......as soon as I sober up again. That may take some time with 5 gallons of beer to drink.:p

I brewed a batch of beer last night and everything seemed to go well, if anything I could sight as an issue, my cool down process took longer than usual, but nothing out of the norm. I had used one whirlflock tablet at 15 minutes. I racked into primary and pitched at around 70 degrees. Checked it this morning and have some nice bubbling already going, but for the first time, I have a LOT of gobules of protein with a nice floating "protein cap" at the top. Is this something I need to take any active steps with or don't sweat it? I usually do not do secondaries, but could if I need to be concerned with any ill affects of all the trub/protein coagulate.

Yup that's normal. Are you using US-05 yeast? It usually makes large clumps like that when fermenting. Cheers

Yup that's normal. Are you using US-05 yeast? It usually makes large clumps like that when fermenting. Cheers
Yep. US-05!!! Thing is going absolutely crazy right now. Looks like it is on a stove boiling. Had to move from bubbler to blow off tube.

Just thought about this. I don't usually see what is going on inside my PET carboys because I have fermentation chambers where, when I open to look, I am looking down on the top. All I really see is whether there is krausen or not and whether there is any blow off. :cool:

My Scottish ales do this to me exclusively, gave me a startle the first few times to be honest.

Back