Lots of foam with commercial keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livelyjay

Reaction score
This is probably my fourth or fifth commercial keg that I've had in the keezer next to my homebrew. This is the first time I've had a huge foam problem and I'm at a loss as to the problem. Setup below:

1/6 keg, Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA
Line length ~ 20 inches
Line diameter = 1/4 inch inner diameter
PSI has ranged from very little to 10psi
Keezer set to 37 degrees F

When I pour at anything more than a dribble, I get a pint that's 80% foam. I replaced the lines and cleaned the tap with no change in results. I've let the keg sit for week off gas, purging the air, with no change in results.

Any suggestions to alleviate this problem are greatly appreciated.

I don't know anyone that runs 1/4" beer line in their kegerators ....it's all 3/16" and typically 5-10 feet long to provide resistance, so the beer doesn't come rushing out .

Having said that, you've used other commercial kegs before with no trouble, so I wonder if was carbed at something like 31 degrees, and 37 degrees is causing this .

Double-check that the D type coupler is twisted fully clockwise too.

First, I didn't realize 3/16 was the most common line diameter. I grabbed the smallest diameter I could find from Lowe's and used that. It fits perfectly over the nipples for my taps and faucets.

Secondly, the length and resistance totally makes sense and escaped me before. I thought line length resulted in different foam levels. I just swapped in a 12 foot line and at 5 psi get a nice slow flow. I still have the same amount of foam. I am seeing bubbles in the line that collect in the highest part of the line, maybe 2 feet worth has bubbles. I changed the psi from 5 to 10 with no change in results.

Thirdly, when I relieve the pressure inside the keg, I am seeing a handful of bubbles around the seal of the tap.

So I just bought a new tap. Mine was old and crusty so figured why not try a brand new one. Still having the same problem. As the beer is pouring I can see lots of bubbles going through the line. When I stop pouring, the bubbles collect at the high points in the line. They eventually form air pockets in the line.

Any ideas? It appears to me that the beer is either over-carb'd or just card'd at a different temperature so the gas is releasing when I pour at a different temperature.

I think you have it right, that the beer is carbed more than you have your system set for and CO2 is coming out of solution in the line. I've had this exact issue before and after some research figured out that many commercial kegs are carbed up in the 2.7 range. At 37* that would be about 13 psi. I would turn the pressure to 13-14 and make sure your lines are still long enough for slow pour.

It's also possible that the temp at the top of the keg is warmer than at the bottom. Maybe a computer fan to mix the air up a bit.

Thanks. I'll try pushing the PSI up this weekend and see what happens. I already have a 75mm PC fan at the top running to try and keep the temps even. I'll use my IR temp gauge I just got and see what the temp range is too.

Return your faucet and get a perlick flow control with 5 ft lines and never look back..will be the best kegging investment youll ever make..100% hassle free pours

You need a longer line regardless, but moving to 3/16 will add the resistance you need. We run 20ft of 1/4" at the brewery to get the resistance we need. I'd start with 10 feet of 3/16, in your case. You can coil it in the kegerator to keep it out of the way.

You need a longer line regardless, but moving to 3/8 will add the resistance you need. We run 20ft of 1/4" at the brewery to get the resistance we need. I'd start with 10 feet of 3/8, in your case. You can coil it in the kegerator to keep it out of the way.

Just for clarification for the OP, daksin means 3/16". 3/8" is larger than 1/4" and would be crazy big for beverage line.

Just for clarification for the OP, daksin means 3/16". 3/8" is larger than 1/4" and would be crazy big for beverage line.

What she said ^^^ . At around 2.7 volumes of CO2 (this is assuming that's what it's carbonated to), at 37F you'll need around 13 feet of 3/16" line to balance it.

This also means that you'll want around 12-13 lb of pressure from the CO2. With 3/16" line a good balance is 1 foot per pound of pressure.

If it's still foamy it could be overcarbonated for some reason. Try taking the CO2 off and venting pressure every hour for a while and checking it.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I increased my pressure to 12psi and the bubbles in the line have gone away. Since I am using 1/4 line, there's too much pressure at the tap. So like everyone is saying, I'll be getting some 3/16 line today. The online calculator says 4' at 3/16 for 12psi. I'll probably just start with 12' first and see what happens.

Put 12' of 3/16" line in place and serving at 12psi. There's still a few bubbles in the line, but the pour is coming out much much better than before. Thanks for the help everyone.

Return your faucet and get a perlick flow control with 5 ft lines and never look back..will be the best kegging investment youll ever make..100% hassle free pours

I have the Perlick flow control faucets and they are great. Especially for the first initial pour that may foam a bit. It's also great for the Belgian beers I keep beer 20 psi.

Back