Lots of foam/Krausen on top of starter after 42 hours. Typical???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timsch

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started a 1.5 liter starter 42 hours ago from a vial of glycerine/WLP001 that I froze a few months ago. I've made a good number of starters before , but only in my 1000ml flask, never before in a 1 gallon jug, so I don't know if anything would be different with this setup. I've always had krausen build up and then fall to nothing within 24 hours using the flask and a 1 to 1.5 pint starter before. I used the proportions for the starter as calculated @ Yeast Calculator, using kai's option.

I've pulled off the foil and smelled it and it smells about as I'd expect from a starter. Sanitation was good.

Is this normal? I was going to pitch it this evening, but am 2nd guessing my timing.

20210130_170400[1].jpg

Is that on some sort of stir plate? If so, I'd turn it off, wait a little while, then swirl and see if CO2 is still being produced.

Yes, it's on a stir plate. It spun the magnet off earlier this afternoon. There wasn't that much foam at that time I found it, but when I got it back on, the foam got particularly thick, as if the rest gave it that much more OOMPH when I got it stirring again.

Sounds like it still has some work to do.

With the stir plate out of commission your starter beer absorbed CO2 up to the level dictated by the current temperature just like with a normal fermentation. Once you fixed the stir plate CO2 started coming out of solution creating the larger-than-usual Kräusen. One of the points of having a starter on a stir plate is to drive off CO2 as much as possible as it is toxic waste for yeast.

Latest posts

Back