Lots of Blichman Bling!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
So, I dunno why people dislike FedEx...

Thanks Brewmasters Warehouse and Blichman... NOW to modify these puppies!

Beginning to look like the makings of a brewery...
CurrtentHardware.JPG

Great place to mix some grain and water...
MLT7.JPG

Jr. taking care of qualiity inspections...
BabyBlichman.JPG

By the way... people cringe at the cost of these things. Well, I have yet to see a kettle so well built, that comes with tools to assemble it, with cleaning brushes for the sight gauges. Very professionally built with very professional instructions included. Blichman runs a tight ship.

I am loving the snap in dip tubes... wow

They are worth every penny IMHO

So, what kind of grain bill are you working with? 12, 15 pounds? :D

Nice stuff, it's a shame you're going to have to get it dirty!

Wow. That's one of the prettiest things I've ever seen in my life.

Oh, yeah, the baby is cute, too! :D

If I was a man, I'd have a chubby right now. That is just a glorious display right there. Oh, well, I'll wait a couple of years and once again buy your cast-offs! ;)

Nice stuff! Is your new brewstand going to be stainless too? Cute, cute kid by the way. Is this first wort hopping?

SS coil is getting modified... holes going into the kettles too so that I can mount some stuff and get the triclamps on them.

Still electric... 9000W kettle, 9000W RIMS, BCS 460 controlled

Wow. That's one of the prettiest things I've ever seen in my life.

Oh, yeah, the baby is cute, too! :D

If I was a man, I'd have a chubby right now. That is just a glorious display right there. Oh, well, I'll wait a couple of years and once again buy your cast-offs! ;)

You can get first refusal :)

So, what kind of grain bill are you working with? 12, 15 pounds? :D

Nice stuff, it's a shame you're going to have to get it dirty!

I will give Jr a sponge, he can detail the inside after each session.

30ish pounds? Maybe more? I dont know much bout brewin' bear yet.

Couple more...

Too bad my next 2 weeks I will pretty much be gone from home...

BlichandTri1.JPG

BlichandTri.JPG

sweet! how long did it take you to get your pot from when you ordered it? I just ordered a 10 gal yesterday from northern brewer. I also noticed it says on it to not move when full. How do they expect us gravity brewers to do that?

sweet! how long did it take you to get your pot from when you ordered it? I just ordered a 10 gal yesterday from northern brewer. I also noticed it says on it to not move when full. How do they expect us gravity brewers to do that?

Liability friend...

Um, I want to say about 2 weeks total... probably actually less. Got my pots, ball valves and autosparge.

I got the shipping confirmation today, they arrived 2 hours later.

Looks like you decided to bail on the kettle-strainer-doohickey. What do you plan to use instead? Just curious. I bought the strainer but have not used it yet. Have heard mixed reviews on it, many seem to have clogging problems but others have little problems with it.

I've only done two mashes in my 10 gal. Boilermaker but so far I like it. The false bottom and snap-in dip tube are nice. Still in a learning curve with the Brewmometer (seems to read the pot temp to a significant degree, which cools as it sits), but I think with you circulating you'll get better results than I do with it.

And it cleans up just like new...so far.

You'll notice that those bolts that hold the handles on do not penetrate the inner skin of the kettle. And these kettles are a bit thin-walled to begin with. So there's not really a whole lot of metal holding those handles on. FWIW, I lift my 10 gal Boilermaker with a mash in it but it's nowhere near full capacity.

Looks like you decided to bail on the kettle-strainer-doohickey. What do you plan to use instead? Just curious. I bought the strainer but have not used it yet. Have heard mixed reviews on it, many seem to have clogging problems but others have little problems with it.

I've only done two mashes in my 10 gal. Boilermaker but so far I like it. The false bottom and snap-in dip tube are nice. Still in a learning curve with the Brewmometer (seems to read the pot temp to a significant degree, which cools as it sits), but I think with you circulating you'll get better results than I do with it.

And it cleans up just like new...so far.

I whirlpool and use pellets, not using a strainer. They discontinued the strainer due to the issues, and I recirc cool.

The Brewmometer is nice looking, but I will have multiple BCS inputs for the heating and cooling processes.

The 50' SS coil will be mounted in the BK with triclamps... for chilling.

There will be an inlet for BK recirc.

Autosparge on the MLT that will be used for the "sparge" and used for the RIMS recirc.

BCS temps. on the MLT outlet, RIMS outlet, BK outlet...

I am pretty excited, this is going to be fun to build and share along the way.

The 50' SS coil will be mounted in the BK with triclamps... for chilling.

There will be an inlet for BK recirc.

Autosparge on the MLT that will be used for the "sparge" and used for the RIMS recirc.

BCS temps. on the MLT outlet, RIMS outlet, BK outlet...

I am pretty excited, this is going to be fun to build and share along the way.

I have been wondering how long a coil can be and still be effective. I would guess this depends on flow rate also. In theory at some point the coil is too long and doesn't pick up any more heat.

I cobbled together an IC for free from stuff I had laying around and used it for the first time last night and it started me thinking..... Mainly because the pump I'm using doesn't seem to have all that much flow.

I simply used a submersion pump in a sink full of ice. Bled the first couple gallons into a bucket to use as hot clean up water and then recirculated. Sure beats setting the pot in ice water.

You are right... if your output water reaches equalibrium with the hot wort in 25', then 50' wont matter.

When I chilled with my 25' coil, this wasnt the case, so I will give this a whirl.

Once I chop it up, I cannot return it anyway! :)

When you first start chilling and the temperature differential is huge, you may only be using 5' of your chiller. However, when you get closer to pitching temps, you will be using the full surface area of the chiller.

People often confuse heat transfer with efficiency. In our situation, chilling as fast as possible, you want to ram as much coolant through the heat exchanger with as much surface area as possible. If your coolant comes out cold, great that means you are removing the maximum heat from the wort and have coolant capacity left over.

When you first start chilling and the temperature differential is huge, you may only be using 5' of your chiller. However, when you get closer to pitching temps, you will be using the full surface area of the chiller.

People often confuse heat transfer with efficiency. In our situation, chilling as fast as possible, you want to ram as much coolant through the heat exchanger with as much surface area as possible. If your coolant comes out cold, great that means you are removing the maximum heat from the wort and have coolant capacity left over.

Good point. I wondered about having a divided coil, but when you put it that way...... From a practical view point then as long as you get it below DMS levels quickly and get a cold break the rest is bragging rights.

Good point. I wondered about having a divided coil, but when you put it that way...... From a practical view point then as long as you get it below DMS levels quickly and get a cold break the rest is bragging rights.

I never had DMS when I let my wort chill for 24 hours, in a sealed container...

OK. Forgot you were a no chill guy. We are down to cold break then. I see you are keeping cooling as an option though.

Yeah, I cannot justify NOT having a cooling system on this build.

We have delivery trucks arriving almost daily now with parts... but didnt expect these yet. I thought, who the hell is ringing my bell at 11am? FedEx? I dont think I have anything today...

Then I see the (2) huge boxes on the front porch... ohhhhhhhhhh myyyyyy goshhhhhhhhhh

I will post the entire parts list when it is complete, so that I am sure it is comprehensive.

Great idea using the Autosparge for RIMS recirc. I was planning doing that as well for my upcoming build. Seems like it would basically work just like the Brew Magic recirc/sparge design.

Jr. taking care of qualiity inspections...

That made me laugh. I think you'll have to craft some form of wearable sponge to have him clean out the interior when you're done with each brew.

The equipment looks great. :rockin:

Jr loves it... he likes looking at his reflection in it. Very content just sitting inside there, what a natural brewer!

BTW, they are 15 gallon kettles.

I am worried about this no lifting thing. It is not like I am going to be lifting it above my head, just about 3 feet so that i can use gravity to feed my fermenter

I am worried about this no lifting thing. It is not like I am going to be lifting it above my head, just about 3 feet so that i can use gravity to feed my fermenter

Can you find another way?

Back