Make your own beer, they said. You'll save money, they said.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What’s the problem? It’s a hobby with benefits.

SWMBO says...”Rep, I thought this beer hobby would provide cheap beer? The numbers are not showing it.”

Rep responds and gives in...”You are right. I think bass fishing tournaments is a hobby that will bring in great healthy protein for the family. I will go buy a bass boat for $40 K, a truck at $50 K, and never enough lures, poles about $500.00 each.

Every weekend I head to the lake is a $500.00 event. Oh, and add $100.00 worth of beer. Can’t drink garbage beer, right?”

This has been working for 15 years. I started brewing five gallons in my kitchen. Now I have a 20 gallon dedicated SS brewery. Time for another upgrade. Would you folks agree?

BTW SWMBO has been wonderful for me and has not complained.

I like your style! Similar tactics on my end, but it is clear I am outclassed, and in the presence of a Jedi Master. Well played, Sir.

Thank you my friend. But please know and with total respect: It is not about style. My SWMBO is unique. She chose me as a partner, now well, 37 years ago.

Not at all certain about how the universe interacts, myself, I am always curious. I tend to believe both she and I have this level of respect that allows each freedom.

At this point in my life I am wondering which way to move my brewery forward.

30 years into this hobby, and I don't think I have spent $1,000 on equipment. I may be wrong, but I think it is way less than that. Equipment lasts for years; I am still using fermenters I bought 35 years ago when I was wine making.

One of my goals with the hobby was to make beer that costs less than store bought, so that thought is behind every equipment and ingredient investment, but with the goal of making beer better than I can buy in the store. I am making beer that will stand up to decent craft beer for less than BMC beers in the store.

I buy the occasional equipment upgrade, chemicals, and ingredients. Over the last 5 years I have kept an account of all my costs, and my average cost per bottle is 35 cents.

Yup...Maybe look at it through different eyes. Does entering competitions advance you? Or, if that $60.00 were spent elsewhere might you see different results?

That is the essence of the hobby. What paths do we take?

Back