Lord Hobo Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely no butter. Definitely not worth the premium tier pricing for it though unless the beer gets better.

I didn't get any butter either. Both were harsh and needlessly bitter. I wasn't impressed by either honestly. B&B remided me of the IPA style that was popular years back. Just not what most people are looking for today. I liked StC a bit more because it was a bit more fruity, but I wouldn't buy either again unless/until they get better. The pricing weighed against the actual quality is a joke. I'm interested to try some more offerings hoping they get better but this was not the best first showing.

Posted elsewhere:

I started blending beers on my own a few years ago when a beer I knew well was tasting off. The experiment was successful, and I continued to blend any time we had a beer on draft at Lord Hobo that was off. I started blending 3 beers together shortly thereafter and generally liked the results. I've grown weary with some of my favorite beers being super inconsistent. The goal of us blending at LHBCo, is for Boomsauce to one day (soon) become an extremely consistent product. The 3 components of BS, Steal This Can, Ball & Biscuit, and Consolation Prize, will always need tweaking. As you know there are a lot a variables that lead to a particular batch of beer being not exactly the same as the last. That is one of the great fun challenges of brewing, but it can also be damaging to a brand. I've seen lots of first timers try a well respected beer, but to get it in less than optimal condition (be it from a problem at the brewery, exposure to heat, dirty lines, dirty glassware etc...), and then to expectthat flavor the next time, or worse, to be surprised or disappointed when they drink the beer as the brewer intended it to taste. For me, by blending our 3 beers into one, I can attempt to mediate the variance from batch to batch of the 3 component beers. Of course we will try our best to achieve predictable and consistent results with the 3 beers, but in the event that one of the 3 is off a touch, I can alter the blend ratio attempting to replicate the desired finished product. So I get to have fun tasting and blending and tweaking the ratios to get a more dynamic beer, and I get to deliver a product to the consumer that they can count on for consistency.

It does pose challenges. The 3 components take 24ish, 18ish, and 15ish days respectively. We have to dial in our brew schedule to accommodate different dry hopping schedules, finishing/carbing the beer and blending it bright. There are a lot of tank transfers and other blending challenges. Hell, it may be a dumb idea. But, with 6 months of pilot batches, endless blending, and a team up for this unique challenge, I am confident that we can put out a blended beer that is truly great.

Starting with a 40 BBL system and only 80 BBL FV's is obviously a risk. Going from 10 gallon batches to 1200 gallon batches (twice), presents a huge and expensive challenge. We don't want (and can not afford) to dump 160 kegs of beer. There was a lot of pressure on our brewers to nail the first batches. We brewed Consolation Prize first. That yeast strain is notoriously slow one Generation 1, and much to our dismay, it stalled. We did everything we could to revive it, but in the end we dumped it. 2000+ gallons of big beer. By the time it stalled, we had already double-brewed Ball & Biscuit, so we made the decision to proceed with Steal This Can. We Love those 2 beers and felt confident they would finish where we wanted them. So we opened our doors with no Boomsauce. We brewed Consolation Prize again, as well as the other 2 others. All 3 are super healthy and tasting great. We made the tweaks we thought necessary to all 3 the 2nd time around, and are currently amped up as we look forward to blending on Monday for our first Boomsauce release on Wednesday.

It will be a work in progress as we learn the nuances of our Brewhouse. The individual components will take time to dial in, and the blend will also. Once Boomsauce is exactly where I want it to be, I will let you know.

As far as the Brewery itself, we are open 7 days a week. Mon- Thur 4-9, Fri 4-10, Sat 12-10, Sun 12-6. We have growler fills, cans, and free samples Mon - Thur. Fri/Sat/Sun, we offer 5 oz tasters and 16 oz pours, for sale. This is specific to Woburn. We have located a License to Pour and will go through the License transfer process in September which will hopefully result in us having a 7 days a week pouring license. The 'tasting room' is a work in progress. We will expand the room to double it's size, and then install the appropriate tables and chairs fit for a proper Beer Hall. Until then we are sourcing some barrels so you have a place to stand around and rest your glass.

For now we have Steal This Can, and Ball & Biscuit, available. New batches of those, as well as Consolation Prize and Boomsauce on Wednesday.

We will also be brewing a session beer, as well as Glorious. Both will be first batches on our system.

Boomsauce will only be available at the Brewery, and at Lord Hobo, through July 4th weekend. Then you will see it in stores and on draft hopefully.

You have every right to judge us based on the 2 oz cups you had at ACBF, or on the first ever batches of beer to run through our brewhouse this past week. But we are not consumed with a few weeks of results. We are here for the long haul.

It may not work, but I would not bet against us.

Cheers

Daniel

Posted elsewhere:

I started blending beers on my own a few years ago when a beer I knew well was tasting off. The experiment was successful, and I continued to blend any time we had a beer on draft at Lord Hobo that was off. I started blending 3 beers together shortly thereafter and generally liked the results. I've grown weary with some of my favorite beers being super inconsistent. The goal of us blending at LHBCo, is for Boomsauce to one day (soon) become an extremely consistent product. The 3 components of BS, Steal This Can, Ball & Biscuit, and Consolation Prize, will always need tweaking. As you know there are a lot a variables that lead to a particular batch of beer being not exactly the same as the last. That is one of the great fun challenges of brewing, but it can also be damaging to a brand. I've seen lots of first timers try a well respected beer, but to get it in less than optimal condition (be it from a problem at the brewery, exposure to heat, dirty lines, dirty glassware etc...), and then to expectthat flavor the next time, or worse, to be surprised or disappointed when they drink the beer as the brewer intended it to taste. For me, by blending our 3 beers into one, I can attempt to mediate the variance from batch to batch of the 3 component beers. Of course we will try our best to achieve predictable and consistent results with the 3 beers, but in the event that one of the 3 is off a touch, I can alter the blend ratio attempting to replicate the desired finished product. So I get to have fun tasting and blending and tweaking the ratios to get a more dynamic beer, and I get to deliver a product to the consumer that they can count on for consistency.

It does pose challenges. The 3 components take 24ish, 18ish, and 15ish days respectively. We have to dial in our brew schedule to accommodate different dry hopping schedules, finishing/carbing the beer and blending it bright. There are a lot of tank transfers and other blending challenges. Hell, it may be a dumb idea. But, with 6 months of pilot batches, endless blending, and a team up for this unique challenge, I am confident that we can put out a blended beer that is truly great.

Starting with a 40 BBL system and only 80 BBL FV's is obviously a risk. Going from 10 gallon batches to 1200 gallon batches (twice), presents a huge and expensive challenge. We don't want (and can not afford) to dump 160 kegs of beer. There was a lot of pressure on our brewers to nail the first batches. We brewed Consolation Prize first. That yeast strain is notoriously slow one Generation 1, and much to our dismay, it stalled. We did everything we could to revive it, but in the end we dumped it. 2000+ gallons of big beer. By the time it stalled, we had already double-brewed Ball & Biscuit, so we made the decision to proceed with Steal This Can. We Love those 2 beers and felt confident they would finish where we wanted them. So we opened our doors with no Boomsauce. We brewed Consolation Prize again, as well as the other 2 others. All 3 are super healthy and tasting great. We made the tweaks we thought necessary to all 3 the 2nd time around, and are currently amped up as we look forward to blending on Monday for our first Boomsauce release on Wednesday.

It will be a work in progress as we learn the nuances of our Brewhouse. The individual components will take time to dial in, and the blend will also. Once Boomsauce is exactly where I want it to be, I will let you know.

As far as the Brewery itself, we are open 7 days a week. Mon- Thur 4-9, Fri 4-10, Sat 12-10, Sun 12-6. We have growler fills, cans, and free samples Mon - Thur. Fri/Sat/Sun, we offer 5 oz tasters and 16 oz pours, for sale. This is specific to Woburn. We have located a License to Pour and will go through the License transfer process in September which will hopefully result in us having a 7 days a week pouring license. The 'tasting room' is a work in progress. We will expand the room to double it's size, and then install the appropriate tables and chairs fit for a proper Beer Hall. Until then we are sourcing some barrels so you have a place to stand around and rest your glass.

For now we have Steal This Can, and Ball & Biscuit, available. New batches of those, as well as Consolation Prize and Boomsauce on Wednesday.

We will also be brewing a session beer, as well as Glorious. Both will be first batches on our system.

Boomsauce will only be available at the Brewery, and at Lord Hobo, through July 4th weekend. Then you will see it in stores and on draft hopefully.

You have every right to judge us based on the 2 oz cups you had at ACBF, or on the first ever batches of beer to run through our brewhouse this past week. But we are not consumed with a few weeks of results. We are here for the long haul.

Cheers

Daniel
Omg, no one cares.

Posted elsewhere:

Cheers

Daniel
So batch two of ball and biscuit and steal this can next Wednesday or yesterday?

Does anyone understand how if one of the beers are off, blending more of a different beer will magically keep it consistent?

Does anyone understand how if one of the beers are off, blending more of a different beer will magically keep it consistent?
Nope doesn't make any sense to me. And also how would one blend 2 beers at a bar together to make one taste the way it is supposed to? This Flower Power is a little off let me add some Congress Street to fix it...

The impact of slight variations of each is minimized by being only 1/4 of the total. If it's got diacetyl or something people taste at very trace amounts, you'll probably still notice. But if, for example, one of the base beers is 88% as hoppy as usual for some reason, that would normally be pretty noticeable in the final flavor. Blended with the others, though, the final beer is only 4% less hoppy (assuming the others are close to on point). It's a way to smooth out variance.

The impact of slight variations of each is minimized by being only 1/4 of the total. If it's got diacetyl or something people taste at very trace amounts, you'll probably still notice. But if, for example, one of the base beers is 88% as hoppy as usual for some reason, that would normally be pretty noticeable in the final flavor. Blended with the others, though, the final beer is only 4% less hoppy (assuming the others are close to on point). It's a way to smooth out variance.
Based on the first two beers, hoppiness won't be a problem. But if one beer is supposed to be fruity/sweet and the other more floral/dry how can you make up for the loss of other flavors like that. And the alcohol may vary slightly as well. If they have different amounts of dry hopping or using unique hops with each beer I don't understand where a completely different IPA is supposed to make up for that.

Based on the first two beers, hoppiness won't be a problem. But if one beer is supposed to be fruity/sweet and the other more floral/dry how can you make up for the loss of other flavors like that. And the alcohol may vary slightly as well. If they have different amounts of dry hopping or using unique hops with each beer I don't understand where a completely different IPA is supposed to make up for that.

Yeah, I don't really get it. It's not like geuze - he doesn't have a large stock of different barrels to blend, all with different characteristics. They're going to have one or two brews of each one at at time, and if one's off, it's off..

If he can pull it off, kudos. But I'm doubtful, and his long ass post describing how difficult it will be doesn't exactly instill any confidence. Honestly, this just screams of a marketing gimmick, but i suppose time will tell.

This whole idea is so stupid to me. Why not focus on making one amazing beer then 3 mediocre beers you think you can blend into magic.

Glad this attitude is coming to vt :)

If the beers are as bad as I have heard then how are people to believe he can blend them into a great beer? Jesus it isn't hard to make a passable hoppy beer.

The butthurt is strong in here. The beers aren't that bad, and I'm sure they're going to continue to work out the kinks.

Everyone is ready to **** all over this guy, lay off the ****in' Haterade

No haterade and I respect what the guy has done. If people calling "Isn't that bad" beer not good is your call to arms have at it. Calling a spade a spade with this brewery is getting some real hate. It's puzzling.

I'm referring to the criticism that the beer is receiving when I say it isn't that bad. I suppose I should have said it's not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Yeah ACBF was a misfire, and Lanigan has a particular reputation in the industry, but all breweries have startup problems, and many breweries continue to have them. For instance most limited releases continue to be problematic.

I've been to LHBCo twice now, and its easy to get in and out with some solid beer at a place that isn't a nightmare to park or get to, and am looking forward to them getting up and running. There's a lot of bitching in the craft beer community, so I'm simply saying give the place a chance before shitting down their throat.

ZOMG WORSTBREWERYEVAR!!1!

Haven't tried his beers yet, I am still kicked out of LH and haven't gone by the brewery yet. I'll give his stuff a chance, though blending IPAs doesn't seem right to me as a way to make a great beer. Maybe he will manage to do it, but 15 years of home brewing and most being hoppy things has never made me think to blend IPAs when I can just brew a good one.

Haven't tried his beers yet, I am still kicked out of LH and haven't gone by the brewery yet. I'll give his stuff a chance, though blending IPAs doesn't seem right to me as a way to make a great beer. Maybe he will manage to do it, but 15 years of home brewing and most being hoppy things has never made me think to blend IPAs when I can just brew a good one.
kicked out of LH as in banned? what did you do?

kicked out of LH as in banned? what did you do?
Myself and a previous manager don't see eye to eye and after a disagreement at another establishment he found a reason to ban me next time I was there.

Eta: that was about 2 years ago I was told I had to talk to Daniel to be allowed back but haven't done so yet. I miss chatting with some of the staff although who knows who is left now I don't. No biggie plenty of places to grab a beer.

Last edited:
That's all we get?
Edited
The disagreement was about sours/lambic he jumped in on a convo I was having and acted like a know it all. I raised some differences of opinion and he asked loudly "have you ever brewed a sour?" To which I replied simply that yes I have.
A week later at Hobo he asked me to leave

Lanigan has a particular reputation in the industry,

This. Not just in the industry, but with knowledgeable beer folks in all of new England.

And when your hallmark is one of arrogance and contempt for basically everything other than hill farmstead and cantillion, AND when your loudly-professed starting point is "world class liquid"...

Yeah, you're going to be held to a much higher standard. The standard you asked for.

The $17+ four packs don't help either.

Man you seem to be the one who is butt hurt if anyone has anything bad to say about LHBC.

I had a feeling someone was going to say that. **** me for trying to be positive right?

And actually no not really, I'm simply tired of the negativity surrounding beer, especially coming from people who are fans of beer and fellow people in the industry. This is supposed to be a fun and healthy community, but instead it turns into a pissing contest between brewers.

So go ahead **** all over what I have to say and continue to piss and moan about everything, you'll fit right in!

500px-Kumbaya.gif

I had a feeling someone was going to say that. **** me for trying to be positive right?

And actually no not really, I'm simply tired of the negativity surrounding beer, especially coming from people who are fans of beer and fellow people in the industry. This is supposed to be a fun and healthy community, but instead it turns into a pissing contest between brewers.

So go ahead **** all over what I have to say and continue to piss and moan about everything, you'll fit right in!
I don't know why you are defending a guy who shits on anything that isn't sour, hoppy, or Bink.

I think the beers are just OK so far but nothing I would go out of my way for or spend that kind of money on.

I have zero respect for the owner. I think he is a major ******; I don't understand where all the leghumpers come from saying he is a stand up guy. Maybe they haven't heard the stories I've heard, but this about beer and not someone's personal life so I'll just leave it at that and not start a soap opera drama on a message board.

I don't know why you are defending a guy who shits on anything that isn't sour, hoppy, or Bink.

I think the beers are just OK so far but nothing I would go out of my way for or spend that kind of money on.

I have zero respect for the owner. I think he is a major ******; I don't understand where all the leghumpers come from saying he is a stand up guy. Maybe they haven't heard the stories I've heard, but this about beer and not someone's personal life so I'll just leave it at that and not start a soap opera drama on a message board.

For Christs sake, just because I would drink their beers more than once and am trying to be positive about the collective beer industry, be it brewer to brewer or simply not just complaining about every ****ing thing makes it seem like I want to jerk the guy off. I shouldn't have said anything in the first place and just kept my mouth shut.

The negativity and general attitude in the corners of craft beer ****ing blows.

For Christs sake, just because I would drink their beers more than once and am trying to be positive about the collective beer industry, be it brewer to brewer or simply not just complaining about every ****ing thing makes it seem like I want to jerk the guy off. I shouldn't have said anything in the first place and just kept my mouth shut.

I think you just picked the wrong brewery to start spreading your positivity for. It's like if you wanted to fix the negativity towards rich people and started defending Donald Trump.

welcome to the internet, where people have opinions and share them, positive or negative.
god forbid people post their opinion instead of spinning everything in a positive light in public, while shitting on it in private.

Duly noted everyone. Carry on!

As someone who has also spent time on various band and baseball forums, I can tell you this is not confined to beer. If you approach anything with unbridled enthusiasm, you're inevitably painted as a rube for some reason.

As someone who has also spent time on various band and baseball forums, I can tell you this is not confined to beer. If you approach anything with unbridled enthusiasm, you're inevitably painted as a rube for some reason.
Baseball statistics are NOT to be played with. (no sarcasm)

Back