Looks like an infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrogenWidget

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
never saw this before.
AG Wheat beer.
BIAB
The yeast was harvested from Bell's winter ale.
I grew up enough for a 1 gallon test batch but after 3 weeks it finished at 1.025.
Probably due to the extremely difficult time I had keeping the wort at temp in my cold kitchen.

I threw in the hops and about 4 days later.
this.
do i even dare try to save the yeast?
It took a while to get it to go.

Edit: the hop bag was washed in oxi-clean in my washing machine so I assumed the dark discoloring wasn't an issue because it's old and i've used it a while without issue but i could be wrong.

8JmC1WT.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, that would be an infection and a pellicle. I just had my first infection after over 5 years of brewing and then had 2 more one after the other. Hard to say if it was your yeast or something else.

I would have boiled that bag after cleaning and added weights to put it under the surface of the beer. Unfortunately that's an infection.

I would have boiled that bag after cleaning and added weights to put it under the surface of the beer. Unfortunately that's an infection.

i'm tossing this bag.
I did dry hop a pale ale last week in a gallon glass jug with a different bag and had no problems.
I did rack it into the jug from the primary.
this time around for the wheat beer i just dry hopped in the primary because i read you can do that.

I would have boiled the bag or soaked it in alcohol over night. (Boiling is quicker and easier).
The problem with your oxiclean method is that you washed it then rinsed it with un-sanitized water. Then probably dried it.
And if your washer is anything like mine there is always a little of that laundry room smell in there. Meaning bacteria.

Last edited:
I would have boiled the bag or soaked it in alcohol over night. (Boiling is quicker and easier).
The problem with your oxiclean method is that you washed it then rinsed it with un-sanitized water. Then probably dried it.
And if your washer is anything like mine there is always a little of that laundry room smell in there. Meaning bacteria.

geez,
never even thought of that.

My only infection was due to an over-used and under-cleaned hop bag. Now I just use disposable ones.

smelled not like beer.
dumped.
duude.
a wheat beer would make a cracking base for a nice funky infection.. one of my best ever beers was a wit i left and came back from holiday to find had gone to the dark side like this. i re-cultured the infection a few times after that it was so good. only stopped reusing it when it started to get acetic notes.

That said if it smells like nail polish then chuck it.
Always taste though.

eh it was a one gallon batch.
I was talking to another brewer and if it was 5 gallons yes would of tried to save it.
but a gallon?
I dumped it.

Back