Looking to hit a specific lager/kolsh profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashevillain

Level 3 Potions Master
Reaction score
Hey all, its time to fill the pipeline with lagers/kolsh

I just wanted to hear people's thoughts/experience with making various lagers and the results they've gotten/enjoyed.

These styles really appeal to me: shwartz, helles, vienna, and kolsh and I am also interested in the possibility of serving them green in a kellerbier-esque style.

I don't want to brew a straight up ultra clean example, its going to be pretty clean and crisp that's a given... but sometimes i feel like people's idea of ultra clean and crisp for lagers equates to relatively hop forward and highly carbonated.

I really enjoy sweet but refreshing helles.

Also kolsh that throws more fruity yeast flavor/aroma than a bjcp judge would accept while remaining cool feeling/refreshing is awesome.

I know a lot of people love every style of lager to be bone dry and hoppy, but i prefer something more nectar-like.

Any recipe's or suggestions for my next 20 gallons? Going to be doing 2 back to back 10gal batches.

Most recent Kolsh recipe was:

8 lbs Pilsner malt
1 lbs Vienna malt
0.5 lbs Carafoam
0.25 lbs Acidulated malt
1.5 oz Tettnang @ 60 min
0.5 oz Tettnang @ 15 min
0.5 oz Tettnang @ 1 min
WLP029 @64

If you're looking for more sweet I would add 1/4 pound of honey malt for a 5 gallon batch, 1/2 pound for 10 gallon

Back