Looking good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uvmnick

Reaction score
Hi all,

In the middle of my first brew and hope some experts can tell me if this looks good. I pitched on Saturday night and bubbling stopped by end of Monday. I am using a bucket therefore couldn't see it, and since this is my first brew I was anxious to see what it looked like a couple days after that.

This is the only time I opened the lid and plan to keep it closed at least another 10 days to let it do its thing.

So, what's the verdict? Does that stuff on top look normal or infected? The bright white spot in the middle is the flash from camera. It smelled like beer so I figure that's a positive.

On a separate note, should I move to it to a secondary or leave in primary?

Thanks in advance
Nick

IMG_2310.jpg

Just looks like yeast on the top to me, leave it in primary, bottle when ready. Everything looks great! What style of beer and yeast did you use?

Just looks like yeast on the top to me, leave it in primary, bottle when ready. Everything looks great! What style of beer and yeast did you use?

Thanks for the feedback. It is an Amber Ale. Used Dry Munton Ale Yeast. It was part of the starter kit. Is that stuff any good?

Looks fine. No need to secondary, and keep that lid on.

Thanks for the feedback. Will likely wait at minimum 2 weeks before bottling. Is it easier to transfer to a bottling bucket first with priming solution or prime the bottles individually and skip the racking bucket?

Thanks for the feedback. Will likely wait at minimum 2 weeks before bottling. Is it easier to transfer to a bottling bucket first with priming solution or prime the bottles individually and skip the racking bucket?

If I have tabs I use them directly in the bottle. Otherwise, I mix the priming solution directly in the batch then bottle.

It seems from threads I've read here, racking to a bottling bucket is by far the most common method. That's what I do. Your particular circumstances and equipment make a difference. If you use a bottling bucket, make a solution of sugar water in boiled water (I prefer to boil it another 10 minutes - optional), then cool it (also optional), then gently pour into the bottling bucket, then gently rack onto it at the bottom of the bucket on a tangent to cause swirling. Stirring after is also optional.

(Make sure the gravity is stable before bottling.)

Best of luck with your brew.

@Tribe Fan, @NC Brewer, @ beergolf - thanks for the feedback on bottling. I'm going to stick to my original plan to make a priming solution. It just seems easier. Great link to the bottling thread.

Nick

It seems from threads I've read here, racking to a bottling bucket is by far the most common method. That's what I do. Your particular circumstances and equipment make a difference. If you use a bottling bucket, make a solution of sugar water in boiled water (I prefer to boil it another 10 minutes - optional), then cool it (also optional), then gently pour into the bottling bucket, then gently rack onto it at the bottom of the bucket on a tangent to cause swirling. Stirring after is also optional.

(Make sure the gravity is stable before bottling.)

Best of luck with your brew.

Just remember to do a nice easy swirl. Just enough to get things moving.

Latest posts

Back