Looking for tea recommendations.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
My first attempt was a flop. I think it was because I did't appreciate the need to use starter liquid, and the batch got contaminated. The scoby came from a GT bottle and grew, and I just used some tea my Daughter had around the house, but I wasn't going to drink it with the mold growing on it.

Next I bought a kit, with instructions to set me off right, and have successfully made 3 gallons (4th started a couple of days ago) with it, and have even grown a spare scoby in case I screw up the main one. But there is not much of the tea left, and would like to know if anyone has any recommendations.

I know Black Tea is supposed to be the best to use. I'm not a tea expert (never drink it), so I don't have a clue if there are different black teas (I assume there are).

Just looking for help in directing me to what produces good Kombucha. I will be buying some items from Amazon in the next couple of weeks do they have good tea, good prices? Any suggestions. If I search for Black Tea on Amazon it tells me there are 7,000 results.

I’m new to this, but my research implies organic is best. There’s more on “teas to avoid” rather than which type of black tea is best. Avoid earl grey and teas that contain additional oils or flavoring.

I like a mix of black and green (usually about 70% black, 30% green) In some of attempts I used black and rooibos (not actually tea, but the leaves / needles of a plant native to South Africa). It gave it a really nice earthy tone.

Here's my take on the choice of tea. There's a lot to choose from. I like the 70/30 black to green ratio,and this is the most important. !- always use organic ingredients, 2- There's only 3 ingredients so use the best quality. Amazon is a good place for everything booch. They have a stainless strainer with a screw top and chain with hook that holds 17 grams of tea,enough for a 2 gal batch. I use the Costco organic pure cane juice sugar in the green bag. Mighty Leaf is a good place to get tea, I like the Irish Breakfast, Gun Powder green ,and Ceylon Kenilworth. You can get the Breakfast and green tea in bulk at most groceries stores.

The only teas you should be using for your first ferment are raw, real teas derived from the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant. (Green, black, red, white, ect.)

Back