Is starter tea just kombucha that has sit in a jar after first fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium82

Reaction score
Hi,

So, I have just learnt that I need to add 10% of starter tea to the freshly brewed tea to kickstart the fermentation. So, I already have a starter from a friend, but how do I make my own starter?
I just put some kombucha (that has gone through 1st fermentation) into a jar and leave it like that? Is that a starter I can use for my next batch? If yes, how long can I keep that in a jar at room temperature?

Thank you.

When I made kombucha many years ago I would just transfer a chunk of scoby from the old batch to the new one.

To start it the first time I bought a bottle of commercial kombucha at the grocery store. I looked through all the bottles to find one that had floaties and some scoby in it, then when I got home I opened it and left it covered on the countertop for a few days to grow the scoby more.

Last edited:
I find that the starter tea is more viable than the actual SCOBY. I've let kombucha sit at room temp for half a year and had no issues reviving it. Only time I had issues was when the top of the SCOBY dried out and started growing fuzz.

Last edited:
Yes, started tea is just a small portion of the previous batch you brewed.

So when you finish a batch, you get to drink/bottle/keg/keep all but enough that you’ll need as “starter” for your next batch. This helps set a good starting PH and creates that environment for a fast/healthy fermentation.

Starter tea is more important than the pellicle. You should use 20% starter.

You can even use very old starter and add it to tea with less sugar, and cut your fermentation time in half.

Hi,

So, I have just learnt that I need to add 10% of starter tea to the freshly brewed tea to kickstart the fermentation. So, I already have a starter from a friend, but how do I make my own starter?
I just put some kombucha (that has gone through 1st fermentation) into a jar and leave it like that? Is that a starter I can use for my next batch? If yes, how long can I keep that in a jar at room temperature?

Thank you.
I save about 12 to 16 ounces of the fermented Kombucha for a starter then add it and the old or new Scoby to the new batch. Make sure the temperature is below 85 degrees b4 adding. You can keep at room temperature for a long time. The longer it sits the more potent it becomes. Really starts to smell like vinegar as it sits. I bottle around 12-14 days but have gone over 21 days sometimes. Make sure it’s covered well with a "breathable cloth". Never saw a fruit fly until I started brewing Kombucha.
🤔

Starter tea is more important than the pellicle. You should use 20% starter.

You can even use very old starter and add it to tea with less sugar, and cut your fermentation time in half.
Hey Rushpapers, I can see that you are monkeying with kombucha in the same way I am exploring currently (direct aeration of the brew throughout fermentation). Quick question in regards to PH and starter tea. I have found that to get the starting PH to 4, that only a minute amount of starter is required, (literally 35ml to drop the Ph from 6 to 4 on my last batch of 4l). I have lost many batches due to mold using this method due to the low starting cell count at the start of the ferment. Do you have any advice regarding your starting/target PH levels, SCOBY addition and the process in general? I understand 15 to 20% starter is generally suggested, though believe this would lead to a PH far too low for consumption? Kind regards, Jack.

I am more than monkeying around. I make 1000 liter batches. There are many factors considered such as your formulation, your brix, your mineral content , the strength of your steep, etc…

But in regards to your question, I will inoculate 800 L with 200 L of inoculant. I will bring the pH down to 3.4. When I harvest a batch, I am aiming for 3.0 pH.

Before bottling, I have additions… cold pressed juices, teas etc., which then changes the pH further. Depending on the additions, the final product is usually in the 3.75 pH area.

Just for reference, Coca-Cola is highly acidic… averages about 2.6 pH.

Therefore, in comparison, my kombucha os far less acidic. It is very palatable. People love it.

Back