Looking For: Simple IPA recipe 5 Gallon Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OSUmoney83

Reaction score
In the heart of buckeye nation, now (2012) in Scot
Just getting back into brewing after a long hiatus. I have two single-hop pale ales in primaries but I want to get a nice IPA going.

Looking for a basic, middle of the road IPA recipe that will clock in around 6.5-7 ABV, extract, 5 gallon batch.

some of favorite commercial IPA's are Bell's two hearted, Marble brewing IPA, doesn't have to be a clone though. I love stuff that focuses on one or two hops.

Thanks for the help.

Well, the two comps I entered this one in, it took a first and a second place, and they were big.

9 lbs LME
1 lb c-10
1.5 oz simcoe@ 60
1.5 oz simcoe@ 5
3 oz simcoe dry hop
wlp001 or us-05

Pretty standard ****-stomping IPA right there. If you can't get simcoe use citra or cascade and adjust to hit your IBUs.

Those centennial hops should make you with a beer similar to Bell's two hearted so that is exciting, since it's something you like. They use all centennial hops in their ale. With these hoppy beers you want to get them turned around as quick as possible. Taste it after 1 week and if it's good toss in the dry hop and bottle at day 14. This will yield the best freshest product, in my several attempts at hoppy beers. It also is very helpful to cap the fermentor after you toss in the dry hops so that you limit the release of the hop aromas thru the airlock. If you have one of those orange carboy hoods they work awesome.

I love two hearted, one of the best around.

Why is that with IPA's? I've heard a couple people like to turn em' quick. Is that to preserve the hop flavor/aroma?

This is a big beer, so I figured it would need extra time to mellow and smooth.

Exactly. Actually, higher gravity beers can be drinkable very fast as long as they don't have a complicated grain bill and/or a lot of darker malts. With IPAs, the hop flavor can fade noticeably week by week. However, to further complicate things, some hops do need to mellow, depends on which ones. I've never made a centennial IPA, so I'm not sure how that one works.

Also, if you're bottle carbing I highly recommend using champagne yeast, because it will carb and clear in under a week. Otherwise, you will never really be able to enjoy some IPAs at their peak.

Interesting comment about the champagne yeast at bottling I have only ever done that with my 11% or more beers or beers that sit for a long time in secondary (like 2 months or more) sure ot wont hurt anything tho, suppose it doesn't matter how much or what yeast it is the beer will only carb based on the amount if sugar you put in.

Back