Quantcast

Looking for old, old beer recipes

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
Earlier today I read that SA's Boston Lager was jut an older recipe that was refitted for production today, which is pretty interesting. Brewing a piece of history would be pretty cool, so I just got to wondering if anyone knew of some pre-prohibition recipes for beer, especially ales? If nothing else there may be some on the Recipator.

RockfordWhite

Reaction score
You could do what the Egyptians did and throw a bunch of grain and water in a vase...

john from dc

Reaction score
check out the book radical brewing by randy mosher. not only does it have quite a few historical recipes but a lot of the stories behind them.

Pugilist

Reaction score
Lol, cock ale. That must have tasted great blech!

I posted earlier in the week my nana is trying to find old documents from my families Hensler brewery. If she finds recipes and doesnt mind, I will share them here so the experts can help us conform them and give em a shot.

The lager had the slogan "Its a whale of a beer!". Hopefully we can do it!

OP
E

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
orfy said:
Do a search for cock Ale.
I've read about beers you can make with meat, including cock like you said, oysters and even beef. Somehow it just doesn't seem like a very healthy thing to do. Though I admit I'm curious what it's like.

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Of all the recipes and beers I've ever seen or heard of, that cock ale is one that I never care to brew or drink. Having said that, of course, I'm sure I would try it if you gave me a glass.

TL

Danek

Reaction score
john from dc said:
check out the book radical brewing by randy mosher. not only does it have quite a few historical recipes but a lot of the stories behind them.
Thirded. It's an awesome book.

bikegeek

Reaction score
How old do you want to go?

There's this one from 1577.

I've also come across this from 1615:
“Now for the brewing of the best March beer, you shall allow to a hogshead thereof a quarter of the best malt well ground; then you shall take a peck of pease, half a peck of wheat, and half a peck of oats and grind them all very well together, and mix them with your malt; which done, you shall in all points brew this beer as you did the former ordinary beer; only you shall allow a pound and a half of hops to this one hogshead; and whereas before you drew but two sorts of beer, so now shall you draw three; that is a hogshead of the best, and a hogshead of the second, and half a hogshead of small beer without any augmentation of hops or malt.”

doubleb

Reaction score
charlie papazian's microbrewing adventures has the SA Boston Lager recipe from 1880.

OG 1.052
FG 1.016
IBU 32
SRM 6-7
ABV 4.9%

5 gal

-8.5lbs german 2-row pilsner
-4oz crystal 60-L
-1.1oz german hallertau-mittelfrueh pellets (or substitute german hersbrucker hallertau pellets 3.5 alpha) 120min boiling
-2/3oz german tettnanger pellets (or substitute santiam pellets 4% alpha) 120min boiling
-1/2oz german hallertau-mittelfrueh pellets 5mins boiling
-1/2oz german tettnanger pellets 5mins boiling
-1/2oz crystal pellets 5.5%alpha dry hop
-1/2oz german hallertau-mittelfrueh pellets dry hop
-1/4tsp. irish moss
pilsner-type lager yeast
3/4cup corn sugar for priming

step infusion mash

132* for 30min
155* for 30min
mash out

ferment at 55* 1 week
rack and ferment at 35 - 45* 5 weeks

there you have it:mug:

Catfish

Art by David Shrigley
Reaction score
bikegeek said:
How old do you want to go?

There's this one from 1577.

I've also come across this from 1615:
“Now for the brewing of the best March beer, you shall allow to a hogshead thereof a quarter of the best malt well ground; then you shall take a peck of pease, half a peck of wheat, and half a peck of oats and grind them all very well together, and mix them with your malt; which done, you shall in all points brew this beer as you did the former ordinary beer; only you shall allow a pound and a half of hops to this one hogshead; and whereas before you drew but two sorts of beer, so now shall you draw three; that is a hogshead of the best, and a hogshead of the second, and half a hogshead of small beer without any augmentation of hops or malt.”
If you do find some old recipe from the past you will need the best on-line converter I have found. How many gills are there in a hogshead?