Looking for old, old beer recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
Earlier today I read that SA's Boston Lager was jut an older recipe that was refitted for production today, which is pretty interesting. Brewing a piece of history would be pretty cool, so I just got to wondering if anyone knew of some pre-prohibition recipes for beer, especially ales? If nothing else there may be some on the Recipator.

You could do what the Egyptians did and throw a bunch of grain and water in a vase...

check out the book radical brewing by randy mosher. not only does it have quite a few historical recipes but a lot of the stories behind them.

There was an article in Zymurgy or BYO a short while back on the reconstruction of that Babylonian brew...I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Ah, here it is: http://***********/recipe/1709.html

Lol, cock ale. That must have tasted great blech!

I posted earlier in the week my nana is trying to find old documents from my families Hensler brewery. If she finds recipes and doesnt mind, I will share them here so the experts can help us conform them and give em a shot.

The lager had the slogan "Its a whale of a beer!". Hopefully we can do it!

orfy said:
Do a search for cock Ale.
I've read about beers you can make with meat, including cock like you said, oysters and even beef. Somehow it just doesn't seem like a very healthy thing to do. Though I admit I'm curious what it's like.

Of all the recipes and beers I've ever seen or heard of, that cock ale is one that I never care to brew or drink. Having said that, of course, I'm sure I would try it if you gave me a glass.

TL

john from dc said:
check out the book radical brewing by randy mosher. not only does it have quite a few historical recipes but a lot of the stories behind them.
Thirded. It's an awesome book.

How old do you want to go?

There's this one from 1577.

I've also come across this from 1615:
“Now for the brewing of the best March beer, you shall allow to a hogshead thereof a quarter of the best malt well ground; then you shall take a peck of pease, half a peck of wheat, and half a peck of oats and grind them all very well together, and mix them with your malt; which done, you shall in all points brew this beer as you did the former ordinary beer; only you shall allow a pound and a half of hops to this one hogshead; and whereas before you drew but two sorts of beer, so now shall you draw three; that is a hogshead of the best, and a hogshead of the second, and half a hogshead of small beer without any augmentation of hops or malt.”

charlie papazian's microbrewing adventures has the SA Boston Lager recipe from 1880.

OG 1.052
FG 1.016
IBU 32
SRM 6-7
ABV 4.9%

5 gal

-8.5lbs german 2-row pilsner
-4oz crystal 60-L
-1.1oz german hallertau-mittelfrueh pellets (or substitute german hersbrucker hallertau pellets 3.5 alpha) 120min boiling
-2/3oz german tettnanger pellets (or substitute santiam pellets 4% alpha) 120min boiling
-1/2oz german hallertau-mittelfrueh pellets 5mins boiling
-1/2oz german tettnanger pellets 5mins boiling
-1/2oz crystal pellets 5.5%alpha dry hop
-1/2oz german hallertau-mittelfrueh pellets dry hop
-1/4tsp. irish moss
pilsner-type lager yeast
3/4cup corn sugar for priming

step infusion mash

132* for 30min
155* for 30min
mash out

ferment at 55* 1 week
rack and ferment at 35 - 45* 5 weeks

there you have it:mug:

bikegeek said:
How old do you want to go?

There's this one from 1577.

I've also come across this from 1615:
“Now for the brewing of the best March beer, you shall allow to a hogshead thereof a quarter of the best malt well ground; then you shall take a peck of pease, half a peck of wheat, and half a peck of oats and grind them all very well together, and mix them with your malt; which done, you shall in all points brew this beer as you did the former ordinary beer; only you shall allow a pound and a half of hops to this one hogshead; and whereas before you drew but two sorts of beer, so now shall you draw three; that is a hogshead of the best, and a hogshead of the second, and half a hogshead of small beer without any augmentation of hops or malt.”

If you do find some old recipe from the past you will need the best on-line converter I have found. How many gills are there in a hogshead?

Back