Looking for Oktoberfest recipe thats has been tried

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-ta-sauraus

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for an Oktoberfest recipe that has been brewed by a member here and is proven to be a good tasing beer. I know there are hundreds of these recipes out there but I'd like to brew one that is tried & true. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is a link to the one I did this year for my birthday which is in October. I have done this recipe with small changes 10 times now year over year. This year was wonderful as usual and was gone from the keg before the end of October...

http://dustinnorlund.com/index.php/just-did-it/brewing-a-birthday-beer

Curious why you used a WL German Bock Lager? Have you ever brewed this with WLP 820 Oktoberfest/Marzen Lager?

Also I see you use a little bit of chocolate how does that add to this beer? Is it subtle?

Lastly whats your fermentation schedule?

I have used the 820 in the past a few times. I am not sure what put me onto the bock lager but I believe it was one of the Jamil style podcasts or something. Since I have tried it I have not went back. My original recipe 10+ batches ago was based upon the information in Designing Great Beers and the Octoberfest Style book. Links to amazon below. Good reading in both of them.

Oktoberfest Style - Fix

Designing Great Beers - Daniels

As for the chocolate it is just a touch. I think it may add a flavor note but mixes with the overall profile quite well and adds a bit of complexity.

I have used the 820 in the past a few times. I am not sure what put me onto the bock lager but I believe it was one of the Jamil style podcasts or something. Since I have tried it I have not went back. My original recipe 10+ batches ago was based upon the information in Designing Great Beers and the Octoberfest Style book. Links to amazon below. Good reading in both of them.

Oktoberfest Style - Fix

Designing Great Beers - Daniels

As for the chocolate it is just a touch. I think it may add a flavor note but mixes with the overall profile quite well and adds a bit of complexity.

What temp do you ferment at? Do you do a d-rest? If so at what temp?

I made this one from Brewing Classic Styles. Its pretty good!

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Oktoberfest/Marzen 10 gal
Brewer: Brewing Classic Styles
Asst Brewer:
Style: Oktoberfest/Märzen
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 15.79 gal
Post Boil Volume: 12.49 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 10.00 gal