Looking for basic explanation of longer boils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr0506

Reaction score
Hey All,

Just a very general question as to why some beers are boiled for 90 or even 120 minutes as opposed to 60.
Is it to only develop a more complex hop flavor or does it correlate to having a higher OG? Or is the reason something totally different?

I am not sure I have seen hop additions longer that 60 min.
But many brewers boil the wort for 90 or 120 then add the bittering hops when they have 60 min left. I have been told longer wort boils can produce deeper malt flavors and also raise the OG as you are boiling off more water. - not sure if it is true.

The main reason for a 90 minute boil is to drive off DMS precursors. This is not necessary for extract brewing.

So is DMS dependent on the type of grains used then? I have boiled a few dubbels for 90 minutes for that exact reason, but does that process continue in a 120 minute boil?

Drive DMS, get a better hops isomerisation, kettle caramelization and longer boil due to more sparging due to high OG brew.

Caramelizafion for sure, if the recipe calls for it. Regular two-row based beers typicalls require only 60 minutes to drive off DMS, but a pilsner base may need 90 minutes or more.

Back