Looking for advice on my Tripel-Nelson

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I've got a pound of Nelson-Sauvin I'm looking to find something to use them in. I was thinking of making a hoppy tripel; get the wine flavors from the hops along with the spiciness of the yeast, along with the dryness from the style. I heard you want to use Nelson-Sauvin in moderation, so I'm not sure if I have too many or too little hops. The following is what I am thinking of doing.

It is a Partial Mash, with 7 gallons into the fermenter:

3.00 lbs 2-Row
2.25 lbs Vienna
0.75 lbs Carapils (Mash grains ~148 F)

7.0 lbs Pilsner LME (added late in the boil)

2.75 lbs Cane Sugar (added as fermentation slows = ~20% of sugars)

1.0 ozs Magnum 9% @ 60
0.75 ozs Nelson-Sauvin 12% @ 15
0.75 ozs Nelson-Sauvin 12% @ 10
0.75 ozs Nelson-Sauvin 12% @ 5
0.5 ozs Nelson-Sauvin 12% @ 0 (added when wort is down to 185 F)
0.5 ozs Nelson-Sauvin 12% @ 0 (added when wort is down to 170 F)
1.0 ozs Nelson-Sauvin 12% @ Dry Hop

Starter of WLP550 (pitch at 68 F and rise slowly to 78 F over 5 to 7 days)

OG: 1.080
FG: 1.008 (or hopefully lower)
IBUs: 42

The more I'm reading, I think I may be over-doing the Nelson hops.

Would really like some input from anyone who has used these.

I also have a pound of NS that need a wort home. I'm going to be chucking them into some free commercial second runnings, which I have no idea the composition (at least right now, will after i score it). I'd like to do a single hop beer just not sure about hop schedule and yeast

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

The more I'm reading, I think I may be over-doing the Nelson hops.

Would really like some input from anyone who has used these.

I do a Nelson Tripel regularly. A little bit goes a long way. I usually pair it with some Styrian Goldings or Strisselspalt. Seems to work very well.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I agree with the others. I love some of the commercial beers that use Nelson, but I found when I use it in large quantities it gets quite fruity - I guess that's the gooseberry flavor everyone talks about. I like them better in moderation paired with something else. Simcoe has worked for me in american ales, I was going to try pairing it with saaz or styrian goldings next time in a Belgian.

I use a total of 1 oz. Nelson in my Tripel. It is still noticeable but not dominant. It really works with the esters from the yeast instead of overpowering them. But that is what I was looking for. If you want something more hop forward, I'm sure more could work.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I was going to make it this weekend, but I have to go to Belgium this week, so it is put off for a couple of weeks. Since I like to control the temp, I need to be around,

Would like to hear any othe opinions on N-S hop schedule.

Not a lot of people adding their thoughts on Nelson Sauvin hops. Had hoped to have more input. I heard you want to use N-S hops in moderation, so this is what I am planning on doing tomorrow.

It is a Partial Mash, with 7 gallons into the fermenter:

3.00 lbs 2-Row
2.25 lbs Vienna
0.75 lbs Carapils (Mash grains ~148 F)

7.0 lbs Pilsner LME (added late in the boil)

2.75 lbs Cane Sugar (added as fermentation slows = ~20% of sugars)

0.75 ozs Galena 9% @ 60
0.5 ozs Nelson-Sauvin 12% @ 15
0.5 ozs Nelson-Sauvin 12% @ 10
0.5 ozs Nelson-Sauvin 12% @ 5
0.75 ozs Nelson-Sauvin 12% @ 0 (added when wort is down to 175 F)
0.75 ozs Nelson-Sauvin 12% @ Dry Hop

Starter of WLP550 (pitch at 68 F and rise to 75 after fermentation starts. Hold at 75. Push to 80 after fermentation for diacetyl rest.

OG: 1.080
FG: 1.008 (or hopefully lower)
IBUs: 31

If it were me, I'd reduce the 15 and 10 minute additions to 10g instead of 15g (sorry can't do imperial), or remove one or other addition - NS can be super fruity as flavour addition. I'd also increase the aroma addition / dry hop up to 1 oz each.

I'd never thought of using NS in a tripel, now I'm interested. Good luck.

I did a clone of Prairie Artisan's 'Merica which is a single hop saison using NS. It's very good, but like others have said, a little bit goes a long way. I'd cut it to 3 additions of 1 oz each: Full boil, 30 minutes, and flameout. And I'd lose the dry hop

Brewed this up yesterday, just as listed in post #9.

WLP550 is a beast. I'd lost a couple of pints thru the blow-off by the 24 hour mark, and I used FermCap. Fermenting at 74 F (by design).

Will add the sugar in a couple of days when fermentation slows down.

Plan is to go 4 weeks, rack to secondary (because I want to harvest the yeast for a dubbel), dry hop of 2 weeks and bottle. Should be ready to try sometime in April.

Back