looking for a stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmy7649

Reaction score
Looking for a good chocolate coconut stout extract recipe. I want to use coconut milk and don't want to use black patent. Any thoughts or recipes would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

I haven't tried it, but a fellow I ran into talked about getting some awesome flavor from toasting coconut from the grocery store. Never having tried either approach, I'm not sure what the difference between using toasted coconut and coconut milk would be. For your substitution for black patent, why not just use roasted barley?

I've also never tried brewing with chocolate, but have read that cocoa nibs or cocoa powder are sometimes added at secondary. The alcohol can at that point draw the chocolate flavors out of the solids. On the other hand, you might try reading this piece, which toys with putting chocolate in at the boil: Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Brewing with Chocolate - Ingredients

I'd second using toasted coconut for a stout... Something tells me the delicate flavor of coconut milk would be lost in something like a stout. Maybe toasted coconut in secondary, along with cocoa. I'd definitely throw a bit of lactose in the recipe too, it sounds like you want more of a sweet/milk stout type brew.
As far as the black patent, maybe try de-bittered black or de-bittered (dehusked) carafa. Roasted barley would work well here too.
Just a couple thoughts, hope it helps.

Back