Looking for a sour..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
I've actually never tried a sour style of beer. I'm very interested in trying one. I don't know if my local craft beer stores sell any, but I'm sure they do. Do you all have any suggestions as to a couple good craft sours I might look for?

Oh! Grand cru! Lovin it! Our local store carries it. Lemme see if ihave the bottle still

liquiditynerd said:
Oh! Grand cru! Lovin it! Our local store carries it. Lemme see if ihave the bottle still

Rode Bach. There's an n in the middle but this f in iPad fills in the words arrgh.

look for Rodenbach, some jolly pumpkin (la roja) and cantillone!! Good luck and if you don't like the first time don't give up because good ones are truly tasty.

I think I might have seen Grand cru as a matter of fact.. I'm not sure if I would even like a sour, but I have to try everything at least once!

Stauffbier said:
I think I might have seen Grand cru as a matter of fact.. I'm not sure if I would even like a sour, but I have to try everything at least once!

Take a look around and check the label. I cannot recall the exact percentages or labels but our store has two now. (up from zero just last year) both rodenbach - ha got it that time. One is a blue label? And the other is a red? Label. The percentage is different between the mixture of aged sour and young sour. It changes the flavor.

rodenbach is good. If you want to try both ends of the spectrum on sour beers I would suggest Bell's brewery Oarsmen for a not too sour sour. and on the other hand New belgium's La folie is the sourest beer I've ever had.

For your first sour try to find one with added fruit. I have tried a few fruit sours and they are some of the tastiest things I have ever drank, because of that I tried a regular sour (some gueze) and it was a little difficult to finish but I won't give up!

I am not 100% sure what is availible by you but I believe almost all of the New Belgium's - Eric's Lips of Faith are sours. I am not a huge sour fan but I know those should be pretty widely availble and are pretty good. FYI I have only ever seen them in 22oz bombers if that helps.

In El Paso I would be really surprised if you are getting Rodenbach. I've never seen it around here (DFW) or Austin. For that matter, I've never seen Jolly Pumpkin or Cantillon either but I guess you might have some different distributors out in El Paso.

You should be able to find La Folie but it is really sour and might not be the best beer to go with your first time. You might be able to find Petrus oud bruin, Monk's Cafe, or Duchess de Bourgnone. All Flanders reds which you may or may not like. I like Petrus but I dislike the other two. You should be able to find some lambic out there. Most fruit stuff you'll find is backsweetened but you might find Lindeman's Cuvee Rene Gueuze or Timmerman's Oude Gueuze, both of which are not backsweetened. You might also find Liefman's Goudenband, an oud bruin, which has started showing up around Texas the past few months.

Thanks everyone! All of your responses have given me a good shopping list.. We have 2 stores that carry quite a variety of beer, so I should be able to find one or two of these I'm sure.. :drunk:

OK, you all have given me 12 different beers to look for. I'm going to my local craft beer store today to see if I can find one or two of them.. I'm guessing sour beers are sour due to adding some kind of bacteria or "bug" of some kind? Is that a correct assumption?

OK, you all have given me 12 different beers to look for. I'm going to my local craft beer store today to see if I can find one or two of them.. I'm guessing sour beers are sour due to adding some kind of bacteria or "bug" of some kind? Is that a correct assumption?

simply yes.what sort of bugs and techniques are used to get the bugs varies greatly.

Back