Looking for a solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rel322

Reaction score
I found a glass container (kinda like a big mason jar, perhaps a gallon) with a 3" diameter opening. All the bungs I found only seem to go up to 2 11/16". Is there any way for me to actually use it as a fermentor?

I found a glass container (kinda like a big mason jar, perhaps a gallon) with a 3" diameter opening. All the bungs I found only seem to go up to 2 11/16". Is there any way for me to actually use it as a fermentor?

santized cheescloth draped over top.

Just drape it over the top? so kinda like an open fermentation as opposed to a closed fermentation?

Sanitize aluminum foil and hand crimp it around the lid. That's all I use for making starters and never had any infection issues there.

Is it threaded like a mason jar, for a lid....do you have the lid? If so drill a hole in the lid, and add a hose barb for a blow off. You can pick up the fittings pretty cheap at probably any home depot or lowes.:mug:

It's got a lid attached by a swinging lid, so if a drill, I'd be drilling through glass, and I have a feeling that it'd be difficult...

I have a couple 1 gallon glass jars like that with the attached lid - I use them to make rice wine. I just took the gaskets off the lids, then close them, but don't latch them down. Lets the CO2 out and nothing in. Haven't had a spoiled batch yet, anyway.

Not sure how it would work for beer but suspect the same with the CO2 escaping/no air getting in?

Not terrible difficult I've used this method before for bottles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back