Looking for a Kolsch Malt Replacement; Recommendations Please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewFranconiaBrewing

Reaction score
I got into brewing years ago in an attempt to replicate a German Pilsner I'd fell in love with while living in Germany. I'd tried a few different grain bills, but none could really deliver the malty finish I'd been missing for years. On a whim, I purchased Schill Kolsch malt and made a pils with a 50% pils malt, 50% kolsch malt grain bill. Eureka, I'd found the missing flavor I'd been looking for! I put that grain is almost every beer I made in 2016 and 2017. In 2018, life got really busy, and I had to stop homebrewing for about a year. As I started up the hobby again, I found out that my beloved Kolsch malt is either no longer made or exported to the US. Apparently the malt house was sold to a firm that no longer exports grains, but keeps them in Germany for local use only.

Kolsch malt seemed to have a unique roast level, as it had a L of 4.5, making it darker than a typically Vienna and lighter than most Munich malts. I've looked at a few craft malts, but they tend to roast their Vienna malts closer to a light Munich. I'd prefer a European-malted barley, just in case there is a difference in flavor based on where the barley is grown.

Any recommendations would be very helpful. Thanks!

Last edited:
Confirmed with Austin Homebrew that their Kolsch malt is Schill brand, so its at least two years old. Homebrewsupply.com has the exact same product description, so its likely their Kolsch malt is also supplied from Schill and quite old.

Back