Looking for a great source/tool for grain characteristics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dignifiedb

Reaction score
Though I'm still somewhat new to the all-grain process, I would like to start the move from using other people's recipes to crafting recipes of my own.

I've found some great resources on hops and their given traits/characteristics (usahops.org and the iPhone app "Hopularity" have been great), but I'm also looking for a source that would provide nice details/specifics about the wide variety of grains and specialty malts.

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I would start with the Wiki on this site. There's some decent info there. And check out the description of the different beer styles. They usually include infor on what types of malts are traditionally used.

The Wiki on this site is very good. I've also compiled a list of my own (along with hops and yeast profiles as well) within my Brew Chart/Workbook that you can find in my signature below. I use it for developing my recipes as it also has the beer guidelines built into it as well (plus a whole lot more).

Beersmith actually has some pretty decent descriptions of each of the ingredients housed therein. I find myself referring to it for many things including what types of ingredients to add to certain styles of beer.

Thanks so much! I've bookmarked the Wiki and will definitely use it and the Beersmith descriptions to help me as I experiment with creating my own recipes. Again, thanks so much!

Back