Looking for a cheaper price on bulk DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LabelPeelers is owned by my LHBS (Abruzzos, see www.abruzzos.com). Matt is a real stand up guy, and is located only around 3mi away from LD Carlson. You will get great pricing buying in quantities like that. I couldn't feasibly store/use that much so I bought the 50lb bag from North Country Malt Supply. He doesn't have it in stock, but gets shipments every 2 days so it would be at the shop pretty quickly, however I wouldn't get it shipped! Shipping on something that large is over $300.00 on the website to my house and I'm only 15mi away!

$300 shipping? That would be about right for the 640 lbs since NCMalt ships 50 lbs for $20. I would imagine the 171 lbs should be $60ish.

Taking storage time out of the equation. Is is cheaper to buy bulk DME then LME including the conversion for sugars. I know that lb for lb is different. But when you correct for this which one is cheaper?

Great thread, thanks guys! I'm brewing today (simcoe's been on the boil for about 25 min now.) Did some surfing while watching the pot and just ordered 50lb Briess DME light from Country Malt Group . . . $2.37 a pound including the shipping to my door in Ohio. Brings the price of extract brewing down for sure!

I just did a quick google search and found this site: http://labelpeelers.com/

Here you can get 176 lbs of DME for $292.01 coming out to $1.66 / lb
They also have 640 lbs for $814.05 coming out to $1.27 / lb!

Granted I have not tried to buy these so I don't know if they are really in stock but they are listed there! If I had a big enough place to store 176 lbs I would totally buy it. Instead I have been buying 50 lbs from North Country for $121 coming out to $2.42 / lb.

Wow -- great link! I would totally do this if I knew a few dedicated extract brewers who'd split with me -- they all think I'm nuts for getting 50# at a time even though I can get through it in 3-6 months easy. I'm sadly the most active extract brewer I know, as anyone more into it than me seems to have gone all grain.

Whatev, I can still crank out ~$0.30/12oz 5-6%abv ales and ~$0.60/12oz 9-10% belgian ales between hopsdirect, northcounrty malt, and culturing yeast from bottles! And sub-4hr set up to clean up brew days rule!

$158.30 is $50 too much for 55 lbs. If you call NEM you can get 50 lbs for $98 (+ $20 shipping). What did they charge for shipping?

I can't remember the brand I get but it is either Muntons or Briess. $129 (+18) is still a good deal, that comes to under $3 / lb.

Buy the specialty grains at the LHBS, I can't see myself going through a 50lb bag of Crystal too quickly...

Gotta throw this out there - you could always consider going AG... Bulk grain in 55lb sacks costs me about $1/lb shipped, and your AG equipment could likely pay for itself on the first purchase...

+1 on the AG comment. We do bulk buys and it costs us around 60-65 cents per pound shipped

I see there is a homebrewers section on mid country malts site. Do they not have the sacks of DME listed there? Do you need to call to order that?

yea actually I was just on the phone with them earlier, they only sell briess DME. FYI they also sell the specialty grains on the catalog in as little as 1 lb bags, and crushed too if you're like me and don't have a grain mill.

Anybody ever use crushed grains after being stored for a while and had bad results? They told me crushed grains loose about 1/2 their life span as non-crushed when stored in a constant temp. I know it's been said it's like coffee in that fresh ground can make a difference.

Is the DME from North Country $98 or $128 (plus shipping) I got confused back and forth in the thread and that makes a huge difference. Thanks.

Is the DME from North Country $98 or $128 (plus shipping) I got confused back and forth in the thread and that makes a huge difference. Thanks.

North Country and Mid Country Malts are the same company, different warehouses.

$98 for a 50# bag of Briess EP DME plus shipping

On the phone I had it confirmed $98 for a 50 lb bag of briess DME when I asked... I called north country malt (the 518 number).

Thanks for the grain storing info that's good to hear! :rockin:

$98 for the bag W/O shipping, they will quote you shipping when yo give them your address.

Just bought a $98, 50 pound bag. With $21 to ship (to Ann Arbor, MI) brings it to $2.38 a pound. Not bad.

Mine came out to 118 for the bag. About time to reorder. 50lbs isn't nearly as much as it sounds. Maybe I just brew alot.

I live close to Northern Brewer, and they are at $125 for a 50lb bag. Probably my best option, since same as having it shipped. I am new, and won't need this option for a while, but it is good to remember. How is everyone storing it? Do you have to vacuum pack it? Stuff seems to asorb water like nobodys business.

No moisture problems, and I've had DME in there as long as 6 months. I can fit 50lbs in two 5 gallon buckets with no problems, it fills them to within around an inch or two of the top.

I'd actually really like to find some local, cheap 50-60 gallon drums with screw on tops. Then I could store all the DME and Grain I buy in my barn with no worries.

No moisture problems, and I've had DME in there as long as 6 months. I can fit 50lbs in two 5 gallon buckets with no problems, it fills them to within around an inch or two of the top.

Thanks. I will definitely keep that in mind!! Vacuum bags can get pricey, and would sure add to the cost.

I don't use vacuum bags for anything anymore, hops included. Zip-Lock Freezer Bags seem to get things done for me just fine, even for my hops. Sure it's nice to have a foodsaver but the cost savings isn't justifiable in my case.

I live close to Northern Brewer, and they are at $125 for a 50lb bag. Probably my best option, since same as having it shipped. I am new, and won't need this option for a while, but it is good to remember. How is everyone storing it? Do you have to vacuum pack it? Stuff seems to asorb water like nobodys business.

I bought an air tight dog food container that fit about 45 lbs of DME.

50 isn't much, really. If you do a 10 gallon batch of moderate gravity, you are looking at like 13 lbs of DME. It goes quick.

I bought an air tight dog food container that fit about 45 lbs of DME.

50 isn't much, really. If you do a 10 gallon batch of moderate gravity, you are looking at like 13 lbs of DME. It goes quick.

You ain't lyin! I burn through 50lbs like every 6moz doing Extract, PM & All Grain Brews.

I just bought from Austin homebrew. 50# for like 147.00 shipped. That was in sept. It seemed like the best price at the time.

LHBS, I don't buy from NC Malt anymore. My LHBS will match their price on bulk bags+shipping, so I get to support my local store and get the grain/dme for the same prices!

Back