Look what I found

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex510

Reaction score
I've never seen this before has anyone tried this?
IMG_20220507_172245018.jpg

I like beer and I like scotch. I've never been certain if I'd like a scotch tasting or even a bourbon tasting beer. Scotch finished in a beer barrel is a new one for me.

Never had Jameson either. I tend to like either the peaty Ardbeg offerings or the clean Glenmorangie. But I'm kind of a snob, scotch has to be more than 17 years old or else I feel like I may as well be drinking cheap bourbon.

But if you say it tastes good, I'll look for some and try it! :bigmug:

I suppose, but It didn't use to be that way until maybe the last 10 or 15 years. Back then even some places in Japan and Colorado were making some great scotch.... Er 'scuse me. single malt whiskey.

Reeks in the same way the State of Kentucky got onto Kentucky Fried Chicken for not paying royalties. So they became KFC for many years until they finally worked something out.

so this IS irish whiskey? don't irish whiskey use used scotch barrels, that were orginally used for bourbon? so instead of the fine bourbon barrels get used for scotch they get used for IPA?

Three observations:
1. Age alone does not make a whiskey superior (don’t get me started on a Pappy rant).
2. Good is good if you like it. I prefer bourbon whiskey to most scotch whisky.
3. In Scotland and Canada its whisky, in the US and Ireland it’s whiskey.

2. Good is good if you like it. I prefer bourbon whiskey to most scotch whisky.

+1 people give me a hard time, but they smoke their whiskey malt with mud! bourbon is nice new freshly chared barrel, with steam to activate the carbon! :mug:

(but i gotta say johnny walker is good, and i like it...)

I've had some pretty pricey and renowned bourbon, but have been blessed in the fact that my palate likes some pretty affordable ones too. I'm not as experienced with Scotch, but I've had a couple of good ones. Maybe I'm a philistine, but I truly enjoy that cheap Clan MacGregor you can get at CVS. I might be a good candidate for something like this.

Might be kinda steep. I can get a litter of MacGregor for under $20 and wait for my awesome brother in law to give me another bottle of good stuff.

A few years ago I attended GABF and they had some sort of biergarten near the front. Jameson had given a bunch (20?) of breweries barrels to age beers in and they presented them all there, so my first thought was that this is an off-shoot of that. But, from the pic it does seem like Jameson is actually making the beer.. I'm not a fan of Jameson, but the beers there, at that time, were "meh" to me, despite be liking barrel aged beers. Maybe this is a yearly thing, but I only attended that one time.

Back