Dense foam in mash and boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szap

Reaction score
Today I brewed a smash IPA. Grain was 12lbs of pilsner. During mash and boil the wort had a very thick foam almost meringue like. I used the same procedure for this beer as all the other beers I've brewed but have never seen this.I've attached a couple pictures. Any thoughts on what caused this?

Attachments

• IMG_20240404_144220.jpg
    IMG_20240404_144220.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240404_144208.jpg
    IMG_20240404_144208.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
I also posted this in the BIAB forym.Today I brewed a smash IPA. Grain was 12lbs of pilsner. During mash and boil the wort had a very thick foam almost meringue like. I used the same procedure for this beer as all the other beers I've brewed but have never seen this. I've attached a couple pictures. Any thoughts on what caused this?

Attachments

• IMG_20240404_144220.jpg
    IMG_20240404_144220.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240404_144208.jpg
    IMG_20240404_144208.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
I've no idea. I've never used pilsner malt. I have heard that some have more issues with it foaming more during the boil. Not during the mash though.

But I must say, I'm impressed by the pictures. If no one can pinpoint some mistake such as a shot of Dawn detergent left in whatever you mashed in, then lets hope that foam is there when you pour the finished beer in a glass.

Would high protein do that?
Otherwise you say you used the same procedure as all your other brews, but something is different.
What is it?

Would high protein do that?
Otherwise you say you used the same procedure as all your other brews, but something is different.
What is it?
Your question made me think. The only thing different is the batch of RO water from the local big ice machine.

i have had that happen with pilsner malt just not to that big extent. i usually scoop it out. but i dont think it matters.
. its not a big deal. its not detergent left behind .

i think if the crush is finer its seems to be a little thicker from my experience.
its prolly protein

I used to be plagued with boil-overs. I used my long handled spoon to stir the foam back into the wort and that seemed to work. Sometimes I couldn’t keep up with the foam and I’d have a boil-over anyway. Then I got the bright idea of simply skimming the foam from the kettle to solve my hot break dilemma. I subsequently noticed that my finished and conditioned beer wouldn’t raise a head when poured. After a few batches, it dawned on me that whatever was in that foam was the same material that I had relied upon to raise that whipped cream head on my beers that I had taken so much pride in before.

After lautering a wheat beer mash utilizing a 15 minute protein rest as part of the total mash regimen, I started heating the wort for the boil. Before the boil started, I got the characteristic foam in the kettle. I found tufts or little pillows of foam sticking through the normal foam. These tufts would not break apart and stir into the wort. I believe that they must have been composed of mainly high molecular weight proteins. A subsequent batch of the same recipe was mashed with a 25 minute protein rest and the little tufts did not develop. A rest of shorter duration might do the job but at least the rest timing is bracketed, for that particular grain bill.

These are a few thoughts from my experience - your mileage may vary.

Just another thought...

How wide is the pot you boil in? Generally a narrow pot will be more of a issue for foam than a wide pot. At least I think that's what I've been finding out from my experiences.

Though that says nothing for the reasons why this batch had more foam than previous.

I've used all kinds of pils malt, never seen anything like it. What brand of pils is it? Have you brewed or used it before? Did you taste the foam? How about the taste of the wort produced?
I have used pilsner out of this bag several times before without problems. I buy bulk grain from the local craft brewery. I did taste the wort. Besides being very sweet, it seemed good. Hope that's the case when finished.

Could it be your cleaning agent from your last brew/cleaning? It just so thick. I've seen/had foamy before, but that looks super thick.

What brand of pils?
I clean with oxiclean so shouldn't be the cause. I am using Briess grain. I've never seen or experienced anything like this.

Just wanted to give an update. I showed the photos I posted to a couple experienced brewers in our brew club and they had never seen anything like it or had an idea what caused it. That said, I kegged the beer today and it turned out good. I had my doubts!

Back