Look out, Miller Lite is now triple hopped.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unlike Canada, megabrew beer is so cheap in the US, I'm surprised you don't use Coors light or miller light for brewing water.

I remember stopping at a grocery store in Oroville WA and seeing a 16oz bottle of Miller high life for cheaper than a 12oz bottle of water.

The first part is funny, I may just try that sometime.

The second part is way funny, cause it happened to me, too. After a tough day in the sun boating, on the way home as I was getting gas, the kid said he was thirsty and there were no beverages in the vehicle, they were still in the boat, and it was all covered up. I decided to go into the store part of the gas station, to get something for him to drink.

I came back out with a water for him, and a 22 for me. The beer was cheaper than the water and almost double the volume. I told him that I couldn't pass up the deal. :D

Miller lite now using Flavor Saving Caps....Keeps taste in and oxygen out.
Wow im impressed, will keep that tripple hopped goodness.

Next, they'll pair up with Coors and become Cold Brewed, or maybe we are just doing it wrong and we should be sucking on the caps.

They have to keep the beer monkeys happy so they think up something that sounds impressive to the average miller lite drinker.

You don't know how many questions I have got about commercials like that. Does that work? Is that really true? etc.....

If I had to pick one lite beer to drink, it would have to be miller lite (besides Sam Adams lite that is). First the triple hops, and now O2 Caps !!!

They got it going ON!

I'm not sure which is worse.

Being the Ad guy that pitched the 'flavor saver cap' idea, or the Corporate Weasel that said " I like that, run with it".

See if it were my brewery I was advertising, my ads would be simple.

------------------

MONTAGE of Brewers working over small batch kettles. Measuring grains and hops.

Narrator: This is beer being made locally
CU of brewer sampling and testing.
Narrator: This is brewing a quality beer meant to be enjoyed. It has color, flavor and character.

EXTERIOR of big corporate brewery. FAST DISSOLVES from outside to inside Corporate Meeting Room filled with several old, grouchy men in suits. PROFIT AND LOSS presentation on wall next to BIG BROTHER watching the meeting.

Narrator: This is BullS*t.

CUT TO BOLD GRAPHIC:
Narrator: Don't buy their Bullsh*t.

They have to keep the beer monkeys happy so they think up something that sounds impressive to the average miller lite drinker.

You don't know how many questions I have got about commercials like that. Does that work? Is that really true? etc.....

The key to branding is a Short, Clear and Memorable message.
The key to positioning a product is difference or perceived value. Is there a feature or a benefit to using this product?

Falling back to O2 absorbing caps as a feature is an admission of FAIL by the marketing group. Using Triple hopped or Frost Brewed is just the same as putting New and Improved on a box of detergent, or relabeling Gatorade.

It is marketings way of hoping you are stupid enough to believe them.. if only just once.

budweiser has joined the campaign. sorry if someone said it already, but i just saw the commercial for the first time.

"are you feelin' the hops?"

what a horrible commercial.

Some small craft brewer would be making a name for themselves if they corrected these dumb ingredient/process references. If they did it in a spoof like way.

We didn't triple hop; shows some greasy, unshaven, beer-gutted guy in a wife beater. He hops three times (on the catwalk), belly floppin', then adds 3 pellets into a hugh vat of wort.

We didn't use spring water; cutaway shows some pond with algae, we just used tap water. Shows shows the same, greasy, unshaven beer-gutted guy in a wife beater with a green garden hose spraying it into the vat while holding a glass of beer. (Scruffy dog pissing on side of fermentor.)

We didn't use rice or corn, just barley; same guy shoveling barley out of his rust-bucket of a pick-up.

End with a comment, "We just made good beer" followed with good belch from the same guy.

The list of spoofs could go on and on with every marketing bit of gibberish that spews out of the BMC commercials.

This same guy could have his dog piss on the ML commish when he pops up too.

Yeah, that's pretty irritating. It's stupid too because they could describe them vaguely enough for their dumb audience while still being correct.

Just wait until you have a bunch of drunk rednecks talking about how much they love hops, then give them a double IPA.:D I can't wait to see the look on they're faces.

They think their customers are idiots.

They don't care what we think about them.

Step one is happy town.

They must think we're idiots.

well lets not bash them too bad.they said hops give it a great pilsner taste.And that will take you to happy town.I gotta get me some pilsner hops.

I am getting to the point where I just don't like mass produced american beer. There are times where you are going to drink enough of them and for portability that it just makes sense to buy this crap. Like a conoe or Kayak day trip for example. Just best to deal with cans. Usually I would just buy labatts or something. However, I had some bud light cans someone left in my fridge so I took those with me. Well yes I drank them but they were like drinking water.

Then I guy I was with asked me If I would like a beer. I said sure and he hands me a Strohs. I haven't even seen this stuff in a few years. I took one big drink and was amazed. This actually had some flavor. I even said to my wife I think this may even have Cascade hops in it. So I looked it up online and this is what they say.

A full-bodied American lager unlike most, Stroh's beer sports a craft brew pedigree. Enriched with hop varieties usually found only in craft brews, Stroh's lager offers a distinct and distinguished taste with a preponderance of Cascade and Willamette hops from the great Northwest. Pungent and pleasing, Stroh's stands apart from the usual lager taste profile in flavor, but not in alcohol.

If I need to buy cheap american beer in cans again I know what kind I'm buying.

When I started homebrewing the FIRST thing that my swill-beer drinking friends and family noticed was hops. "Why is it so bitter?" "Why does it taste like flowers or something?" "It smells like grass!"
Of course, I took some of those comments personally. But, I got the same comments from people when I served them Sierra Nevada, Bass Ale, Shipyard, Geary's... The list goes on. People suffer from beer ignorance, and the big breweries know this and completely exploit it. "Thanks, customers, for being stupid about what you put in your bodies! We LOVE you! Here, have some more adjunct brew with hops that have been added not once, not twice, but THREE whole times!!!"

fat tire comes in cans!

When you can find it. I don't know of many places in michigan. Plus sometimes when your out in the sun all day I like something lighter, just not as light as bud or most comercia mass produced beers for that matter. I can't think of one reason people choose to drink budweiser products other than their marketing dollars did what it was supposed to in regards to selling more beer.

Where can I get "Lock In" hops?
facepalm.gif

It is just too bad that each hop addition that Miller does only gives 1 IBU. The only thing more sad is how Miller thinks this is a good ad campaign. Just because Sam Adams does commercials about hops, does not mean a beer without any detectable hops presence should be focusing on hops in commercials.

Just to be fair, I check the Budweiser site and some of the same silliness abounds.

"The foam helps protect the beer from harmful light and oxygen,"

New flash - NASA to use Budweiser foam to patch hole in ozone layer.

Just to be fair, I check the Budweiser site and some of the same silliness abounds.

"The foam helps protect the beer from harmful light and oxygen,"

New flash - NASA to use Budweiser foam to patch hole in ozone layer.

That's why they call it great stuff! Same $hit! :D

sub_04.jpg
budweiser_can2.jpg

So, I just saw the new Miller Lite Triple Hopped TV ad...lol...Triple Hopped??? So what do they do? Use one hop cone with an Alpha Acid of <1% 3 times? Or is it 1 hop pellet then strain it out 3 times? lol...Go Miller!...lol:rockin:

Man being the hophead that I am, I can't wait to try this Miller Light stuff! Triple hops huh? What is it an IPA? DIPA?:rolleyes:

I think the the term "triple hopped" means they use 3 hop cones per barrel

Yeah I never got that one....frost brewed...maybe they brew at extremely low pressures so they can achieve a boil below freezing temperatures

I just think its funny how stupid or ignorant the average beer drinker is when they fall for all this beer marketing BS. Their commercials are funny and I have certainly swilled a few of their beers in my day but I am always amazed at the garbage claims they make.

Back