Long Weekend!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baron von BeeGee

Beer Bully
Reaction score
At least it is for me! Anybody doing anything? This is the first Easter in many years I won't be heading to the Smokies for a kayaking trip, so I'm kind of bummed about that. OTOH, we have a friend coming in and we'll probably go down to Wilmington/beaches for a day and just generally unwind for a few days. Not sure if I'll squeeze a batch in with company in town, but I'm gonna give it my level best.

I guess I've got to mow the weeds, too. :ban:

Baron von BeeGee said:
Anybody doing anything? This is the first Easter in many years I won't be heading to the Smokies for a kayaking trip, so I'm kind of bummed about that.
SWMBO and the youngest ones are heading out of town, so I'm thinking I ought to brew something. On the other hand, there's all that water out there, so I may be forced to go amuse some fish. :)

I'm brewing up the ESB this weekend and will try to hit the driving range as well as the dog park! Heading out to Legend tonight for happy hour. :drunk:

Double batch brew day Saturday. Two wheat beers. One with orange/corriander but I'm not using belgium yeast (amer hefe) and the other a plain amer wheat. Wife may make me throw apricots in it to wreck it though. Sunday is booked and I'm going to a concert Friday night. This could be an ugly brewday if I don't behave the night before.

No long weekend for me. Our company is open all day tomorrow and Monday - business as usual. I'm brewing an Imperial IPA on Saturday!

I'n in CA on business right now, but I leave tomorrow morning to go to Vegas. (For the last 4 years, I have odne a Vegas trip with some buddies every Easter.)

We just sit around, drink goooood tequila, play craps, and eat like kings.

Then, Sunday, I'll be flying back home to NC and returning to the daily grind.

-walker

I think we've been over this before, EP. I consider Patron a 2nd tier tequila. After tasting El Tesoro, I moved my bottle of Patron over to the "mixer" pile of bottles. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'll never turn Patron down if offered it, but the tequilas of choice for our group are El Tesoro and Penca Azul. In my opinion, Penca Azul is equally as good as El Tesoro, and isn't worth the extra $50/bottle over El Tesoro, which is about $100/bottle already.

The core group of guys that go totals 4. We can easily tear through 1 bottle of tequila/day, so when considering costs of a vegas trip, I have to assume that $300 to $400 will be spent on tequila, and I'm responsible for 1/4 of that price.

I've never had Cabo Wabo, but I've been told to try it.

edit: I've apparently been getting ripped off on El Tesoro. It can be purchased on line for about $50/bottle! I wonder of my buddies are pulling one over on me when I 'chip-in' for tequila. :D

-walker

Me and the family are heading out to some friend's of ours' acherage out on the prairies. They have a clay pigeon thrower and lots of gophers, so there will be lots of shooting relaxing. Should be good.

El Tosoro silver is my favorite tequila. More like $35--you must be taking about Anejo. I realy do prefer the unaged tequilas--man, a good one just bursts with agave flavor.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Me and the family are heading out to some friend's of ours' acherage out on the prairies. They have a clay pigeon thrower and lots of gophers, so there will be lots of shooting relaxing. Should be good.
how far do they throw the gophers?

Imperial Walker said:
I think we've been over this before, EP. I consider Patron a 2nd tier tequila. After tasting El Tesoro, I moved my bottle of Patron over to the "mixer" pile of bottles.
Yes, we have been over this before, but since that bottle of El Tesoro has yet to arrive in the mail, I have to assume that you're making the whole thing up. :p

Weston, how much did Walker pay you to confirm this ruse? ;)

HurricaneFloyd said:
I'm brewing up the ESB this weekend and will try to hit the driving range as well as the dog park! Heading out to Legend tonight for happy hour. :drunk:

Legend? Bastige! I wanna go!

desertBrew said:
Double batch brew day Saturday. Two wheat beers. One with orange/corriander but I'm not using belgium yeast (amer hefe) and the other a plain amer wheat. Wife may make me throw apricots in it to wreck it though. Sunday is booked and I'm going to a concert Friday night. This could be an ugly brewday if I don't behave the night before.

You must post recipes--preferably in the "latest wheats" thread I started a few days back. I am curious about wheats lately.

Being nosey, but what concert?

Dude said:
Legend? Bastige! I wanna go!

You didn't miss out on much. It was a nice night but the service sucked. :mad:
The beer was ok, I tried their dunkel which was good and the pale ale was ok. They didn't have any Hopfest. I tried some of my wife's imperial brown ale and it was very bland. I'm not a fan of brown ales so I guess this was a good thing.

Dude said:
You must post recipes--preferably in the "latest wheats" thread I started a few days back. I am curious about wheats lately.

Being nosey, but what concert?

Will do on the wheats.

Concert was Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. I never even heard of them but some friends invited us to go with them. Pretty good; seem to have a big following and everyone seems to know their lyrics (pauses his singing; lets audience do the work). Rock with I'd say a harder Springteen kind of style perhaps? Worth the $ of admission if ever get a chance but they just got back from the east coast I believe. Many of the members used to be in a band called the Refreshments from the 90's. They did the King of the Hill theme song...

El Pistolero said:
Yes, we have been over this before, but since that bottle of El Tesoro has yet to arrive in the mail, I have to assume that you're making the whole thing up. :p
Well, truth be told, I haven't been able to find it around here. If I find it locally, I really WILL send it.

also, weston....

Yes, I'm talking about the Anejo. I prefer aged tequilas... I like the smooth oakey taste, which (sometimes) combined with the agave taste kind leave a vanilla-like aroma to The Juice.

By the way, the tequilas we had on hand this past weekend (and my opinions) were:

Don Julio Anejo (bold and sharp... not nrealy as good as the others, yet the most expensive @ $100. we used it for mixers. :))
Pena Azul Anejo (very good, but lot more oak that El Tesoro - slight vanilla aroma. I had never had this one, only their Reposado)
Don Eduardo Anejo (had a good beat and I could dance to it. Definately giving El Tesoro a run for it's money)
El Tesoro (still the king in my book)

-walker

I haven't tried most of those tequilas, but have always found Don Julio a steady guy and relatively easy to acquire. My house tequila is Espolon which I can usually acquire in Mexico for ~$30-35 (reposado). I usually grab a Don Julio silver, as well, for the occasional margarita.

El Pistolero said:
SWMBO and the youngest ones are heading out of town, so I'm thinking I ought to brew something. On the other hand, there's all that water out there, so I may be forced to go amuse some fish. :)

Do you mean with you water flailing technique? I love when they just sit down in the water looking at you going, "you think i'm stupid"?

Amateurs! El P charms them into the barrel first - no need to worry about dynamite and refraction then. Sterilizing the barrel again for secondary - that's the real magic of Uncle! ;)

Back