Traveling to NW Oregon / SW Washington next week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I'm traveling from #3 state for microbreweries per capita to #2 next week (Oregon). I have relatives in the Portland Area, and all the way up into the Seattle area, eastward as far as Tri Cities and Walla Walla. The hometown I claim for my own is Enterprise Oregon, though I was dragged kicking and screaming away while still in elementary school. I'll be roaming randomly in Eastern Oregon and Washington, as well as briefly on the "wet side" as far north as Tacoma area...... Seattle is a bit too busy for my taste as I live in a town that currently has a populaton of 2 people and 4 dogs.

I'd enjoy a chance to get together with other brewers in the area...... Which includes all of Northern Oregon, and a big chunk of south western Washington. I'll be in the area from the middle of next week for about a week, so if you are planning a brew day the first weekend of October, and enjoy including strangers, give me a holler........ I'm a "bagger", and would enjoy a chance to be a part of a traditional "mash and sparge" brew day.... Or any kind of brew day. Shooting bull and making beer. My mother lives in Portland and it will be my "home base" briefly. I'm NOT a city boy.... I'm lost when I have to exist in that environment! How many times can you visit OMSI, or ride the light rail from Lloyd center to the Pioneer Post office, visit Portland Meadows, or go to events that don't interest me at the Colosseum? There is basically nothing in the city that interests me....... I'm an outdoor guy!

The mountains, and rivers and the remote places in the high desert do.... from Steens Mountain to Dry falls and the Scablands. I'm more comfortable in the Trout Creen Range, or in John Day canyon, Lost Forest, Fort Rock, Crack in the Ground, Steens Mountain, the Owyhee Canyon, Adel, Clarno, and the Alvord Desert, stinking water, .... by far, than in Portland or Seattle. I've hiked much of the Pacific Crest Trail (in the early 70's), when we typically took trips that ranged 100 miles or more........ I'd rather be along the Imnaha, Grand Rhonde, Weneha / Tucannon or Snake, John Day, Sprague, Owhyee, Rogue, Deschutes.... than the Willamette or Columbia. I've looked down from the top of St Helens, Adams, Hood, and South Sister, and kayaked in the surf off the Oregon Coast, worked my way from crescent beach to crescent beach at low tide on the wilderness coast of the Olympics........... long before anybody considered "reservations".

..... guess I'm an "old timer" as of tomorrow... I'm looking at the big 6-O..........

H.W, [email protected]

If you make it up just a little further I live in a small town in the woods just outside enumclaw, wa and am brewing a vanilla burbuon porter that weekend on my 3 vessel system

If you're traveling through Baker City be sure to stop at Barley Browns - their Pallet Jack IPA is amazing.

If you're traveling through Baker City be sure to stop at Barley Browns - their Pallet Jack IPA is amazing.

Unfortunately Baker is not on my itinerary........ I will hit Terminal Gravity in Enterprise and Mutiny in Joseph, then probably down to Imnaha, and up the river and over the top until I can drop into Hells Canyon, and ultimately across at Brownlee Dam. Baker "city" would be a major side trip for me. It would however be a shame not to loop up through McCall to sample the wares at the two excellent breweries there........ particularly since I plan on taking the Banks Lowman Road. I'll miss the one in Sun Valley this trip, but catch Bertrams in Salmon, and Beaverhead in Dillon........... also probably Muddy Creek in Butte, and one of the breweries in Bozeman........ I'll drink my way home ;-)

H.W.

Unfortunately I'm not planning a brew day this weekend. But if you're an outdoorsie guy hopefully you can make it out to the Gorge? Never gets old for me. Love hiking out there.

And there's tonnes of fantastic brewpubs here. Needing any suggestions? Main thing I always recommend is Cascade Barrel House - fantastic sours.

Unfortunately Baker is not on my itinerary........ I will hit Terminal Gravity in Enterprise and Mutiny in Joseph, then probably down to Imnaha, and up the river and over the top until I can drop into Hells Canyon, and ultimately across at Brownlee Dam. Baker "city" would be a major side trip for me. It would however be a shame not to loop up through McCall to sample the wares at the two excellent breweries there........ particularly since I plan on taking the Banks Lowman Road. I'll miss the one in Sun Valley this trip, but catch Bertrams in Salmon, and Beaverhead in Dillon........... also probably Muddy Creek in Butte, and one of the breweries in Bozeman........ I'll drink my way home ;-)

H.W.

Sounds like a great trip - have fun man! :mug:

Unfortunately I'm not planning a brew day this weekend. But if you're an outdoorsie guy hopefully you can make it out to the Gorge? Never gets old for me. Love hiking out there.

And there's tonnes of fantastic brewpubs here. Needing any suggestions? Main thing I always recommend is Cascade Barrel House - fantastic sours.

You hit the nail right on the head........... that one is less than 10 blocks from where I'm staying. Looks like there's a "cluster in the area, with 5 within what I consider walking distance, not to mention McMenamins......... Care to meet some evening for a brew at one of them?? PM me..

I'm lost in the city though I spent most of my teens in Portland...... I've lived in the country for so many years that I really don't know what to do in the city.

H.W.

Im in Portland, and find my Ipad won't access PMs due to lack of Javascript. Yesterday I walked to Cascade Barrelhouse and drank samples of many of their sours..... 10 samples..... I was impressed! and somewhat inspired. Im a block off Morrison at 19th so I have several breweries in walking distance. I have to admit to some discomfort "wading through hordes of homless people" to drink high dollar beer .... $20 bottle is a bit rich for my blood!! What can I say? I've been known to drink 25 year old McCallan scotch at $35 a shot!

I took 4 days to get here from Montana... well actually only 3 considering the time I left and arrived. Wandered all over, and racked up 50% more miles than a straight shot. Drove from St Regis over into the St Joe, and around Couer D Alene Lake, and then right into Spokane to get a real spare at Spaulding's. Lost a headlight bulb.... huge job on my "new" 2010 Outback. Throwing what appear to be random numbers nonsensical trouble codes... occasionally. Fortunately I have a permnently mounted code reader and a chart and e-manual (factory service manual) with. The car runs great, but I'm learning to hate check engine lights!!! My '94 has a quarter million miles and has never thrown a trouble code. Finding nice remote hideaway camp sites while traveling is a bit of a challenge. I use Google satellite view to locate possibles in the areas I'm traveling in, then check them out on the ground. I can't sleep in a bed, so I never go to motels.... why waste money on a bed you can't sleep in. l have a comfortable sleeping arrangement in the rear of the car, and a quiet spot along the river or in the mountains or desert is much more relaxing and restful. No traffic noise, etc....... I live in the country where it's quiet at night.

H.W.

No I'm out in cumberland, small old mining town a few miles south

I'm in Vancouver and there is a couple new breweries that I haven't visited yet. If your passing through I'd be happy to buy you a beer. Let me know if your available....

Back