Long time drinker, first time Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apezz

Reaction score
Hi’ all, I’ve brewed a few 1 gallon kits that have tuned out good. I’m think I’m hooked and ready to move into the 5 gallon arena. One of my questions:

After boiling and cooling the wort are completed we need to transfer the wort to the primary fermenter. All the instruction I've read say something like “Leave any thick sludge in the bottom of the kettle.” If we’re trying to avoid getting sludge and trub into the primary, then can’t it be filtered through a sanitized cheese cloth or SS Strainer? I would think this allows you to get all the good wort and also do some aerating in the process before pitching the yeast.

Is filtering wort anyone has done? Is it a good or bad idea?

I was reading up on this last night. There's three good options.

1. Stir in a circle at the end of your boil. Most of the trub will pile up in the middle and you can siphon on the edge. This requires an auto siphon.

2. Pour though a strainer. It's fine to do but it will only get out most hop matter not the proteins it very small hop particles.

3 just pour it all in. Everything will sink in the first day and your yeast will cover it up so it won't get into your bottles or secondary.

What I read last night 3 can lead to clearer but sharper beer. 1 you get more chill haze but is smoother. I have never done option 3 my self but I am going to try it next time. What ever works for you. I'll try to find the link I was reading last night.

I pour my wort from my boil kettle to the sanitized plastic bucket through a big stainless steel strainer. It works really well to get rid of the hop debris and break material. It also begins the aeration process (I usually stir for a few minutes after I pour to get enough O2 into the wort).

At the same time, don't sweat it too much if some of the gunk gets through. Here's an 'exBEERiment' that the Brulosopher did showing that folks don't really prefer the taste of a beer completely separated from the trub prior to fermentation over one fermented on top of all the trub:
http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-great-trub-exbeeriment-results-are-in/

Yes, it has been done, in fact my LHBS sells funnels with filters for just this purpose. That being said, I don't filter when I transfer, I simply allow the trub to settle in the kettle for about 15-20 mins before transferring then pour carefully leaving about 80% of the trub in the kettle. Anything that makes it into the fermenter settles during fermentation and clearing and rarely makes it into my bottling bucket when I transfer for bottling.

I pour my wort from my boil kettle to the sanitized plastic bucket through a big stainless steel strainer. It works really well to get rid of the hop debris and break material. It also begins the aeration process (I usually stir for a few minutes after I pour to get enough O2 into the wort).

At the same time, don't sweat it too much if some of the gunk gets through. Here's an 'exBEERiment' that the Brulosopher did showing that folks don't really prefer the taste of a beer completely separated from the trub prior to fermentation over one fermented on top of all the trub:
http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-great-trub-exbeeriment-results-are-in/

Correction -
A quick recap of responses from the “official” tasting panel:

– 50% (3/6) accurately identified the different glass in the triangle test
– 83% (5/6) accurately identified Truby as the experimental batch
– 50% (3/6) preferred Truby over Non-Truby
– 100% (6/6) perceived Truby as being clearer than Non-Truby
– 50% (3/6) perceived no difference in aroma while 33% (2/6) thought Truby had better aroma
– 67% (4/6) reported Non-Truby as having better flavor in general
– 33% (2/6) thought Non-Truby had better mouthfeel while the others perceived no difference

While not included on the actual tasting panel, numerous others have also compared these 2 beers. Truby has consistently been voted the clearest beer with the sharpest/crispest flavor. Interestingly, there seems to be somewhat of a split when it comes to overall preference.

From a final product standpoint, I don't think you'll notice a difference (I dont), and I think there have been some experiments done recently by members you can search for.

Some notes from my experience:
Using a strainer - it's going to clog. Be ready with a sanitized spoon to clear the mesh.
Whirl pooling is also good if you use an immersion chiller, keeping the wort moving.
If you harvest yeast from your fermentor, less break material is helpful.
I have found having less break material makes cleaning the fermentor a bit easier, and cleaning is my biggest brewing pain point.

Hope that helps some.

Well I must say, that was a great exBEERiment! I enjoyed that read. I've been convinced (at least for now) to not filter and let the brew do its thing.
Thanks for that article masaba!

Back