Long primary or rack to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you need to let it sit that long, Biermuncher's recipe is grain to bottle/keg in 17 days?

Personally I would not go 2.5-3 months in primary. I would allow it to ferment as scheduled and either bottle/keg and allow to condition or rack to secondary with very little headspace and bulk condition but I'm not sure why you need to wait that long:confused:

Not sure what is causing you to have to leave it for a few months, but assuming you have a legitimate reason, I'd transfer rather than leave it on the yeast for that long. Situations like this are when kegging comes in particularly handy.

Thank you, secondary it is. I have left hip and left hand surgery on wednesday and my list of things to do is way too long and getting around is a PITA at this point. I probably should not have brewed it but it will be so long till I can again, I just wanted to do this beer.

Rack to secondary! After a certain point your yeast will start to undergo autolysis which will give your beer a nasty spoiled meat taste!
good luck with the surgery

Rack to secondary! After a certain point your yeast will start to undergo autolysis which will give your beer a nasty spoiled meat taste!
good luck with the surgery

Do you have proof of this? The latest research says that you need a huge mass of yeast in the bottom of a very large conical to get yeast to autolyze. I'd leave it in the primary and have done just that with great results.

Due to life issues... SWMBO had leg surgery so beer took a back seat. I let my last bottled batch set for 3 months on the yeast and it turned out great. Now i need to get my cream ale and Irish red bottled :)

Thank you, secondary it is. I have left hip and left hand surgery on wednesday and my list of things to do is way too long and getting around is a PITA at this point. I probably should not have brewed it but it will be so long till I can again, I just wanted to do this beer.

Where are you located? Maybe someone can swing by and lend a hand.

Latest posts

Back