Quantcast

Long Island, NY supplies

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

excaptn

Reaction score
I live in Nassau county and haven't been able to find a LHBS. I have been out to Karps hardware store a few times and considered driving into Brooklyn. Does anyone have any Suggestions for a "local" shop. Also has anyone every been to "Brothers At Kedco in Farmingdale?"

Reaction score
Speaking as a Brooklyinite:

do yourself a favor and just order from Austin Homebrew Supply or More Beer. I have not found a LHBS that has anywhere near the selection or quality. It takes some extra planning ahead, but it is easy enough to only use online suppliers.

OP
excaptn

excaptn

Reaction score
Austins is great! I just would love to have somewhere to go with off flavor issues. Thanks for the advise.

Bubba

Reaction score
+1 on Brooklyn Homebrew and Austin Homebrew Supply I use them both.

Bassman

Reaction score
I go to Brooklyn Homebrew. They're great people, always ready to answer questions and pleasant about it. In fact I just got back from there.

Airborneguy

Adjunct of the Law
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Brooklyn Homebrew is great, I've become pretty good friends with them. They actually asked me a question last week! If there is anything I can't get from them, I find it online, but they have a great selection of malts, hops and yeast.

Weissbier

Reaction score
Hey, its a little far, but Arbor Wine in Islip is great. Jim is a great guy and he has a huge stock of hops, WLP Yeast, keg parts, pretty much everything. Tell him Chris sent you in.

www.arborwine.com

eppo

Reaction score
Yah give arbor a shot. Althought I order most of my stuff from Austin homebrew.

Nerdie

Reaction score
there's the hydroponic store with a side store called Homebrew, too! off the L.I.E off kissena blvd. It's on Horace Harding.

chrisgray

Reaction score
I got to Brooklyn Kitchen Labs under the B.Q.E. They have pretty much everything I need and they will order anything you want if they don't have it.

chask31

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
there's the hydroponic store with a side store called Homebrew, too! off the L.I.E off kissena blvd. It's on Horace Harding.
This place is convenient but everything is about 3 times the price you will find it for online. They are really out of wack with their pricing. I live about 10 minutes away and wont go there aside from emergencies at this point. Personally I would prefer to give my money to a local, but their markup is just insane.

chrispykid

Reaction score
Brooklyn Homebrew is a godsend, after years of being reliant solely upon deliveries there's finally a viable local option in NYC. Now that they've got a storefront the selection is improving and I'm loving the fact that it's walkable from my apartment.

When I had a chance I used to stop at Kedco in Farmingdale a few times. They're mostly wine supply, but can often get you by in a pinch.

Nerdie

Reaction score
Damn I have been going to homebrew too! I'm going to check ou these Brooklyn places to compare prices and selection

Nerdie

Reaction score
Yeah let's do a meet !!! I am the only homebrewer I have ever met... Learned from papazian book then this site. Never actually seen another person brew

tkone

Reaction score
kedco is actually really good. that's where i got the stuff for my first few batches. the guys are super friendly and have a good amount of knowledge.

brooklyn homebrew people are super nice as well and willing to go the extra mile.

i live four blocks from the brooklyn kitchen and a friend from college owns it so i would recommend that over all else, but that's only because they're close and he's a great guy

BobA

Reaction score
I was to Brooklyn Homebrew today for the first time. Was way happy with the selection, pricing and the people in the shop ( very friendly). I'll be a regular customer. For local stuff I've been going to Hydroponics and Homebrew Too in Flushing but as an earlier poster said their prices are way too high.

eastend

Reaction score
If you are out east there's a new shop in Calverton called Brew and Beyond.

-lindak-

Reaction score
I have stopped at kedco for grain. I think my one issue was that they only have dry yeast.