Long Draw System Troubleshooting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidebar SC

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just installed a long Draw System and having foam problems right off the bat. The system consists of the following:
Gas: CO2 and Nitro into Trumix blender (70/30, 60/40 and 25/75 options), using the 60/40 blend.
Lines: 35 ft of 1/4” line @10 psi (per Solty calc). Roughly 15 of that outside my cooler in insulated trunk line.
Trying to push an IPA right now with highly inconsistent pours. It will vary from slow liquid to burps of foam and then just a constant high foam pour. Noticing a lot of pockets of gas/foam in the lines shortly after my keg (see picture). Not sure what is causing this. When the tap is pulled you can see a lot of turbulence in the flow inside the cooler. Do I need a higher pressure than usual if I am using a 60/40 blend as opposed to straight CO2?

Attachments

• PXL_20210418_231423458.jpg
    PXL_20210418_231423458.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 12
What was the ipa carbonated to before you put it on beer gas and at what temp?

10 psi of beer gas is only 4 psi approx of CO2 pressure at the 60 40 ratio.

What was the ipa carbonated to before you put it on beer gas and at what temp?

10 psi of beer gas is only 4 psi approx of CO2 pressure at the 60 40 ratio.

If I'm being honest, I don't know entirely. For total transparency, I'm trying to set up a beer bar with guest brewing, so I'm not brewing myself, but want to understand the science of serving as best I can to give every beer it's time to shine.

That being said, are you suggesting that my problem might be under carbonation then (using 60% CO2 to clarify)? Or would something else be causing the air/gas in the lines that I showed?

I think it might be the opposite problem in fact the CO2 might be higher in the beverage than the relative head pressure of the beer gas.

Another thread on here suggests this as a good article

http://www.craftbrewersconference.com/wp-content/uploads/NewGuidelines-BlendedGasforDraughtBeer1.pdf
Might give you some pointers.
So, in reading that, it seems to me that it is suggesting that I should be setting my secondaries to something in the 25-30 psi range to get the average 2.5 v/v. Would your understanding of the doc agree with that?

As a heads up, I turned up the pressure to roughly 28-29psi based off of one of the tables on pressure gauge correction in that document and now the beer seems to be serving quite well, though there is a bit of foam coming off of a pour when the line has been sitting for a bit. I assume that is due to warming in the lines and gas coming out of solution. With roughly 20 feet of trunk line in the cooler, I assume my only remedy for that is a glycol power pack. Thanks for the direction so far!

@Sidebar SC

That's good news indeed for your system. Do send photos of " the bar " when it's finished.
Sometimes that early foaming can be due to the tap not being cold enough until some beer has run through it.

Sounds like your trunkline is not (glycol) chilled, or chilled to a cool enough temp. I've got a 23'L x 1/4"d trunkline, with a homemade glycol chilling system that runs 24/7. Had the usual "first pour" foam issue until I managed to get my glycol temp down from 31F to about 28F (return temp in the glycol reservoir). My pour temp is now about 38-39F (used to be 41-42F, which was slightly warmer than my keezer temp of 39F). Problem solved, no more excessive first pour foaming!

Back