Lme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo68710

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for Weyermann Pilsner liquid malt extract but my home brew supply store only carries Briess Pilsen Light. Is there a difference or can I interchange them?

You can interchange them - not exactly the same, but awfully close.

The Briess Pilsen Light is good stuff... :)

Hey neo... I see you're from Poo-ya-loop... I'm originally from Orting. Stomped around your hometown quite a bit in my youth. :)

Gary

The Briess Pilsen Light is good stuff... :)

Hey neo... I see you're from Poo-ya-loop... I'm originally from Orting. Stomped around your hometown quite a bit in my youth. :)

Gary

Been here for a couple of years now, moved up from Oceanside California with my wife, she is from Port Orchard. Not a bad town and decent brew houses around.
Thanks for the replies, Briess it is then :mug:

New question, same recipe asked for perle hops what the difference between the German and US version my supply store sells? Are they interchangeable?

Just do the calculations for the proper amount of bittering and flavoring and your good. If there is a difference in Alpha acids the LBS should be able to quikly calculate the proper amount needed for the recipe. My LBS is all over that every time I show up.
Bob

Just do the calculations for the proper amount of bittering and flavoring and your good. If there is a difference in Alpha acids the LBS should be able to quikly calculate the proper amount needed for the recipe. My LBS is all over that every time I show up.
Bob

So I can calculate the proper amount but 0.5 ounces are used for flavor the last 15 minutes of boil is there a difference in flavor for US or German?

So I can calculate the proper amount but 0.5 ounces are used for flavor the last 15 minutes of boil is there a difference in flavor for US or German?

Yes, there will be differences in flavor due to the different growth conditions (i.e. soils, climate, etc.). I would expect, however, that the differences are fairly subtle since both came from the same family of hops. Kind of like a wine grape that's grown in different regions: same basic flavor profile, but little differences here and there. I certainly wouldn't let country of origin of the hops keep you from brewing it up with what's available. In fact, fix yourself up a fun experiment - brew it with the US sourced this time, save a bottle or two, and then brew it up with the German sourced. Do a side-by-side taste test to see if you can spot the differences!

Back