Little help for a new fella?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanVTBrew

Reaction score
I've brewed a few all grain batches, and have hit pre boil grav every time. I was shooting for a 1.079 this time, and came up with 1.052 in the pre boil. I have some dme, can I use that to jack up the gravity? If so, how much? Thanks in advance

Green mountain high!

I just finished sparging, just turned the burner on.

Green mountain high!

What post boil gravity are you looking for? That seems more critical, since boiling will raise OG.

Original gravity should be 1.079 in a 5 gallon batch. I collected 7 gallons of wort at a 1.052. Now that you mention boiling, I feel dumb. If I boiled down to 5.5-6 gallons should I be close?

Green mountain high!

Original gravity should be 1.079 in a 5 gallon batch. I collected 7 gallons of wort at a 1.052. Now that you mention boiling, I feel dumb. If I boiled down to 5.5-6 gallons should I be close?

Green mountain high!

I'm just doing the math in my head, so don't take my word for it, but I think you'll come up a little short. Think closer to 1.070, but that's just my rough claculation.

As you boil, the specific gravity goes up (sugars don't vaporize, only the water). Some math to figure out how much to boil off.

Code:
[I]       C1*V1 
V2 =  ------  (C  = concentration, or gravity points     V = volume)
        C2
[/I]

C1 was 52. V1 was 7g. C2 wants to be 79.

Code:
[I](52 * 7)
-------- = 4.6g
[/I]
You needed to boil down to 4.6g to get your intended gravity.

It's OK to add DME at any time during the boil.

A lb of dme should set my grav perfect. Should I add this at the end of the boil?

Green mountain high!

And my question was already answered. Awesome. Thanks

Green mountain high!

Another way to think about the beer math if you're a visual person like me: once you pull the bag you aren't changing the volume of sugar during the boil, only the amount of water its dissolved in. Present gravity X present water = total sugar. Divide by post boil water = post boil gravity.

Latest posts

Back