Little fermentation after two weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I helped my friend with a amber rye recipe two weekends ago which had only a dry yeast listed for it. We created a starter as several sources recommended for dry yeast and pitched it. The whole brew session was went very smoothly which made us feel pretty good.

I was concerned when it took almost 3 days to see any signs of life (Our batches from the several weekends prior were going crazy by day 1, and overflowing day 3). The bubbling remained light and appeared to cease over last weekend. I just checked the gravity and it has only dropped from 54 to 40...

The recipe called for a 17 day fermentation which doesn't look like will nearly be enough. What, if anything, can be done to salvage the batch? :(

how long was the starter allowed to work? Usually takes (from what I've read) a day or 2. Did you check the gravity of the starter before and after to see if the yeast was working?

What's the temp at the fermenter?

How old was the yeast packet?

To answer your question on salvaging it, I'd make sure your temps are right for the yeast, and give it a few days. You can always repitch yeast.

Be aware that some dry yeast manufacturers recommend against making a starter, due to yeast nutrients being included in the pack. They want you to pitch directly to the wort.

For what it's worth, I use dry yeast also and have used yeast a few years old, stored in the fridge. I figured I could always repitch if necessary. Also, I don't make starters (yet).

What kind of yeast did you use (brand and type, please). What was the temperature of the wort when you pitched the yeast? How well did you aerate the wort before you pitched the yeast? What temperature was it when fermenting?

What kind of yeast did you use (brand and type, please). What was the temperature of the wort when you pitched the yeast? How well did you aerate the wort before you pitched the yeast? What temperature was it when fermenting?

dry yeast does not need an aerated wort, wet yeast needs the O2 at the beginning.

nor does dry yeast need a starter.
however, that didn't hurt anything.

check your hydro again. '54' is misleading. 1.054 is a starting number, 1.008 is a finishing number. (or 1.012, or 1.004)

dry yeast does not need an aerated wort, wet yeast needs the O2 at the beginning.

Yeast use aerobic respiration during reproduction (1st thing that happens once it's acclimated to the wort). Therefore, it's a good idea to have a well aerated wort regardless of yeast type used (dry or liquid).

The anaerobic phase takes place once oxygen is depleted, and hopefully, enough yeast has been made.

Without O2 in the wort, the fermentation would be very slow to start. Thus, that's a valid question to ask the OP.

Back