Line length for beer gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nexy_sm

Reaction score
HI all guys,

I am about to buy beer line which I am going to use for dispensing stout on gas. THe pressure in the keg will be 30 psi. My question is basically could I use shorter line, the same as I use to dispense my normal beers at 10 psi. I suppose stout at 1.5 or even less volumes of CO2 should not be foamy that much.

Cheers

HI all guys,

I am about to buy beer line which I am going to use for dispensing stout on gas. THe pressure in the keg will be 30 psi. My question is basically could I use shorter line, the same as I use to dispense my normal beers at 10 psi. I suppose stout at 1.5 or even less volumes of CO2 should not be foamy that much.

Cheers

Not if the pressure is going to be 30 psi.

Dispensing through a stout faucet at high pressure virtually demands beer gas, and to get the proper effect the beer needs to be lightly carbonated (no higher than 1.2-1.4 volumes), and the pressure needs to be up around 30 psi or higher.

With that configuration, excess line restriction works against the end goal. No need to add more than the minimum to get from keg to tailpiece.

fwiw, I run my stout faucet on 70/30 mix set to 35 psi, on a 10' 3/16" ID solid pvc line (with a flow meter at the keg end)...

Cheers!

Hi, thanks for your answers.
So, how to calculate the line length? I don't have flow meter. At the moment I have lines of 2m length and 0.1575'' diameter. Is this too long, too short or just enough?

I'm assuming he meant 0.1875, which would be 3/16"?

I don't do nitro beers on tap, so take it for what it's worth... But my understanding is that all of the restriction is in the faucet itself, and that any restriction prior to the faucet is counter-productive. Thus, it would be better to have shorter, wider line, like 5 ft of 1/4" line.

Back