"Light" Roggenbier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topherman

Reaction score
Hey all,

My Christmas gift to myself was the last of the equipment to formally upgrade from partial mash to all grain. Wohoo! I'm celebrating next week by brewing a Munich and rye porter, because I frickin' love rye.

Which got me thinking; I love a good roggenbier, but often the rye ends up sharing the spotlight with the maltiness of the darker grains associated with a dunkelweizen. What if I totally showcased the rye, so it was like a hefeweizen with rye? Something like this:

5 lb rye malt
4 lb German pilsner malt
1 lb rice hulls

Infusion mash @ 150
Decoct to mash-out @ 172

~12 IBU of noble hop, 60 min

Good fruity German weizen yeast

Has anyone tried anything like this before? Any tips/warnings (besides "the runoff may be slowly dripping water torture")? Does it sound good, or do y'all think that the rye will be uninspiring on its own?

I've read conflicting reports of whether a protein rest would help loosen up the rye malt, or if it only helps the sparge with unmalted grains. I'll check Palmer before I brew, but if anyone can point me in the direction of a good explanation of when a protein rest helps, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

t

Back