Light Colored Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitsuj80

Reaction score
I just brewed the St. Paul Porter extract kit from NB a day ago and the directions recommend doing a partial boil of 2.5 gallons and then adding water after the boil to the carboy to bring it to 5 gallons. I noticed that the color is lighter than you would expect from a porter. Is this because is was a partial boil and the specialty grains were only steeped in 2.5 gallons? If so could I fix this next time by doing a full boil and adjusting the hops? Thanks.

I just brewed the St. Paul Porter extract kit from NB a day ago and the directions recommend doing a partial boil of 2.5 gallons and then adding water after the boil to the carboy to bring it to 5 gallons. I noticed that the color is lighter than you would expect from a porter. Is this because is was a partial boil and the specialty grains were only steeped in 2.5 gallons? If so could I fix this next time by doing a full boil and adjusting the hops? Thanks.

The size of the boil shouldn't affect the color at all. I assume the grains were cracked (milled)? What were the grains? Maybe they made an error and didn't send the right grains is all I can think of.

The specialty grains were 0.5 lbs English Chocolate Malt and 0.5 lbs English Dark Crystal. They were cracked and steeped at 155 degrees for 20 minutes.

The specialty grains were 0.5 lbs English Chocolate Malt and 0.5 lbs English Dark Crystal. They were cracked and steeped at 155 degrees for 20 minutes.

1/2 pound of chocolate malt should make it pretty dark. I wonder if it just looks funny in the fermenter and it'll look much darker in the glass.

I was wondering the same thing because right now it is really actively fermenting and churning with yeast.

That is what I am beginning to think it might be. I will just have to wait until I get it in a glass.

I brewed a RIS that looks dark enough in the glass, but looked lighter when fermenting and taking samples.

Back