light beer: kolsch or cali?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevkev5

Reaction score
i want to make a light beer and i can ferment between 65-70 and lager in my kegerator around 38-40. before anyone gives me **** about brewing a light beer try playing drinking games with what you have on tap now, then get back to me. as for a recipe i am looking at 3lbs pilsner dme, 1lb sugar or rice. maybe a bit of caripils or leaving it out all together and .5 oz cascade for an hour and .5 for last 5 minutes. with my temp options am i better off with kolsch, cali, or something else i am not thinking of? any advice on the recipe is welcome as well. it will be used with my bmc drinking friends so i want to keep it light as possible at least in color anyways. thanks in advance -kevin

66% DME and 33% sugar sounds like a terrible cider tasting beer. Id just do all DME. As for the yeast for those temps Id use the cali, but both are med Flocc. yeast, so if clarity is important Id try something else like 1272 or nottingham.

Sounds more like a cream ale. You can't use rice with extract but you can use rice solids. 33% is the max I would use of it. In fact I have a cream ale now that I cereal mashed 33% white rice. It's like BMC and best served cold. I used US-05.

AT 65-68 degrees, I wouldn't use kolsch yeast OR the California lager yeast. That's too warm, especially if you're at 68 degrees.

A well attenuating "clean" ale yeast is a better choice, like S05.

throw in some sorachi ace for a little asian twist. i'd probably back the rice solids down to 20-25%, but that's me. sounds like a fine extract cream ale/crowd pleaser.

edit- forget the carapils, you want this rather thin in body to be a super-quaffer.

Sounds more like a cream ale. You can't use rice with extract but you can use rice solids. 33% is the max I would use of it. In fact I have a cream ale now that I cereal mashed 33% white rice. It's like BMC and best served cold. I used US-05.

Isn't 3lbs DME and 1lb rice syrup 75% and 25%?

yes, yes it is.

Something like 4 lb DME, 1 lb rice solids, and 8 oz corn sugar to about a OG of 1.040. It should finish dry, about 4% ABV. With .75 oz Cascade at 60 and .25 at 5 should be 16-18 IBU and right in style. I prefer a noble-ish type hop like Sterling.

i can find a different part of the basement to get temp between 60-65. i was originally thinking kolsch/cali debate to make my temperature conditions work for me to get more of a light lager style for drinking games, but now i think i like the us-05 idea better. it ferments pretty clean and with the rice syrup/corn sugar it should dry out pretty well too. thanks -kevin

Back