licorice root amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armen_Tamzarian

Reaction score
I'm making a porter, pretty by the books stylisticly. I don't want it to be super pronounced. I have 1 oz of licorice root but am wondering how much I should put in the boil and for how long.

I have no idea if I should be thinking 1 tsp, or .5 oz. I'm thinking 15 minutes is good for time. Thanks!!!

There doesn't seem to be a great deal of info on the tronz about this. I found some about licorice stick, but not root. What I have found generally seems like 1/4 - 1/2 oz for 15 minutes will make it present, but not too much. I'll brew and post soon with what I did, and the results...a bit down the line.

If anyone wants to chime in with any useful info that would be sweet!

I've never used it. However, BYO had an article a few issues back with different recommendations on various brewing herbs. For Licorice root, it says 0.5 oz (per 5-gal batch) for 60 minutes of boil.

At least that is a starting point... YMMV..

Good luck!
--LexusChris

I've not used it but used star anise before using 7g in 2.5gallons and it was WAY too much. Luckily it has smoothed out but still too much.

If in doubt add less and maybe make some 'licquorice tea' too add to secondary or bottling time if you feel it needs more.

Interesting. Yea I'm set on doing .5 oz. The 60 minute idea is definitely interesting, I was kind of thinking 15 minutes. I'll have to think on that/wait for any more info people want to share! I ain't stressing though!

I make a version of Charlie Papazian's tumultuous porter annually.

Last year I used 1/3 oz licorice stick and 1/4 oz licorice root along with ginger, spruce tips, and juniper. It worked just fine in essentially a robust porter.

This year I used 6 gm licorice stick and 0.6 oz licorice root. I bottle tomorrow.

I always use them with 60 minutes to go in the boil.

Hope this helps.

Back