Lexington, KY brewer....ish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabbs1228

Reaction score
Hello from Lexington, KY. Home of Kentucky Basketball, beautiful horses and fast women, and some pretty dang good nano breweries. I guess they're nano? So if you're ever in town, please make sure to check out Blue Stallion (my brewery hang out of choice; and tell them that I said hi), Country Boy Brewing, West Six, Ethereal, and possibly more soon.

I began brewing kits a couple of years ago thinking that it would be just as good as one of these local brewery beers. I was wrong, unfortunately. I got back into brewing the 2nd day of this year and decided to try a kit but add some White Labs yeast. Let me tell you, the extra $9 was totally worth the money. The flavors truly come out with good yeast. I have since started venturing out doing partials and been loving it ever since. I tend to think about and research beer making all week and generally brew something on Saturday or Sunday. It has been great. I have also ventured out and gotten into kegging. Buying 4 pin locks from an online store and then converting them to ball locks has been wonderful. I now have plenty of room for a lot of beer!

The 2 best beers that I have made this year has been a bourbon barrel-type Irish Red. I used an irish red kit and while in secondary, added roasted (in the skillet) oak chips that were later soaked in Evan Williams bourbon (about 2 cups). It was wonderful. It is now gone. The second was a great recipe that I found on beerrecipes.org for a Red IIPA called Redhead Redemption Red Double IPA. Since I'm married to a redhead and I love IPAs, I had to try. This is/was the best beer that I have ever made. I have about 2 gallons left.

I recently got into using gelatin for clearing beer. This has been an incredible find. To contrary to what I've read, I actually use a bit more gelatin and water. I use 2 TBS of gelatin in 2 cups of water. I let it bloom for a while and then microwave for :30 at a time until I get the water up to around 150f. Give it about 2-3 days and you're set. Love it.

Well sorry for the long post! I have been looking on here for many kinds of information and I appreciate everyone that has posted ideas and problem solving solutions. I hope to post more soon.

Hello from Lexington, KY. Home of Kentucky Basketball, beautiful horses and fast women, and some pretty dang good nano breweries. I guess they're nano? So if you're ever in town, please make sure to check out Blue Stallion (my brewery hang out of choice; and tell them that I said hi), Country Boy Brewing, West Six, Ethereal, and possibly more soon.

I began brewing kits a couple of years ago thinking that it would be just as good as one of these local brewery beers. I was wrong, unfortunately. I got back into brewing the 2nd day of this year and decided to try a kit but add some White Labs yeast. Let me tell you, the extra $9 was totally worth the money. The flavors truly come out with good yeast. I have since started venturing out doing partials and been loving it ever since. I tend to think about and research beer making all week and generally brew something on Saturday or Sunday. It has been great. I have also ventured out and gotten into kegging. Buying 4 pin locks from an online store and then converting them to ball locks has been wonderful. I now have plenty of room for a lot of beer!

The 2 best beers that I have made this year has been a bourbon barrel-type Irish Red. I used an irish red kit and while in secondary, added roasted (in the skillet) oak chips that were later soaked in Evan Williams bourbon (about 2 cups). It was wonderful. It is now gone. The second was a great recipe that I found on beerrecipes.org for a Red IIPA called Redhead Redemption Red Double IPA. Since I'm married to a redhead and I love IPAs, I had to try. This is/was the best beer that I have ever made. I have about 2 gallons left.

I recently got into using gelatin for clearing beer. This has been an incredible find. To contrary to what I've read, I actually use a bit more gelatin and water. I use 2 TBS of gelatin in 2 cups of water. I let it bloom for a while and then microwave for :30 at a time until I get the water up to around 150f. Give it about 2-3 days and you're set. Love it.

Well sorry for the long post! I have been looking on here for many kinds of information and I appreciate everyone that has posted ideas and problem solving solutions. I hope to post more soon.

Strong likelihood that I will be moving back to Lexington after living in Cincinnati for the last 16 years. One thing I will definitely miss about Cincy is the strong craft beer scene and the numerous home brew shops for supplies. How is the availability of home brew shops in Lexington? I know Liquor Barn carries a decent collection of hops and yeast and a few other odds and ends, but looking for availability of purchasing milled grains and other more speciality items.

Thanks and Go Big Blue. :rockin:

Strong likelihood that I will be moving back to Lexington after living in Cincinnati for the last 16 years. One thing I will definitely miss about Cincy is the strong craft beer scene and the numerous home brew shops for supplies. How is the availability of home brew shops in Lexington? I know Liquor Barn carries a decent collection of hops and yeast and a few other odds and ends, but looking for availability of purchasing milled grains and other more speciality items.

Thanks and Go Big Blue. :rockin:

Hey! Cats!! #BBN

As far as the supply, I would say that it is a bit limited here in Lexington. The 2 big liquor barns (Beaumont and Hamburg) carry a fair amount of items but as far as milling, to my knowledge Beaumont is the only store that will do it for you.

As far as more specialized items, one-on-one advice, and a mill, you'll need to go to a store called Lexington Beerworks on North Limestone (www.lexingtonbeerworks.com). They don't have a ton of items but they do have a great selection of grains and yeast. The advice has been great and spot on. They also carry a great selection of craft beer that rotates constantly. They have fun homebrew classes. Beginner classes or $15 with 10% off equipment and more advanced classes are usually free.

I wish there was a store truly dedicated for homebrew. Maybe one day??!!

Hilarious...I am so stealing that!

Welcome to the forum, from Minnesota!

Hey Thanks, Maxstout! That line is a fairly common joke down here. Obviously we're very well known for our thoroughbreds but the girls aren't half bad either!:cross:

I'm with a redhead as well, but prefer beautiful women who go from nice and slow to medium. Horses and baseball are tied for a distant second place.
But back to the beer: How long were the bourbon soaked oak chips in the beer? Thrown in loose, or in a bag? Thanks

I'm with a redhead as well, but prefer beautiful women who go from nice and slow to medium. Horses and baseball are tied for a distant second place.
But back to the beer: How long were the bourbon soaked oak chips in the beer? Thrown in loose, or in a bag? Thanks

Haha. Thanks, Madscientist. I do like my women at a comfortable pace as well.

I soaked the chips in bourbon for a week. I was going to put them in a bag but decided to just throw them in (along with the bourbon) directly in the ale pale. Everything I read said that everyone had wished that they had the charred flavor from the inside of a bourbon barrel. I just thought to myself, "hell--I'll throw some in a pan, turn the heat on high, and constantly move the chips around to prevent burning but still get them toasted". I left them in there for probably 2 weeks but I don't remember. The advice I got from the main brewer at Ethereal here in town was to taste the beer every couple of days and then rack it when it tasted like I wanted it. I am very confident that I got it right because it was the best bourbon flavored beer that we've had. Most bourbon barrel beers are very heavy on the bourbon. This was oaky, sweet and had a nice bourbon nose with a slight bourbon finish. I also (*and forgot to mention*) that I added a teaspoon of vanilla extract. I don't know if added the flavor since the true finish of the Evan Williams bourbon is vanilla but it didn't hurt it.

I'm kinda partial to your bourbon, too. I took a tour of the Maker's Mark distillery when I was there a few years ago.

There are so many great bourbons here. And it's cheap around here as well. I can get a bottle of Evan Williams (750ml) for like $10.

I'm kinda partial to your bourbon, too. I took a tour of the Maker's Mark distillery when I was there a few years ago.

I love an old single barrel aged KY bourbon better than anything. I limit myself to buying one (bottle) per year. Usually as a birthday gift to myself.

This year I tried Knob Creek single barrel reserve. Highly recommended. Flavors so complex and rich that it is advised to actually water it down some with some distilled water so you can pick up on everything that is going on.

Latest posts

Back