Let's talk brand new Italian AEB kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider123

Reaction score
I am new to kegging and bought two of these 5 gallon AEB kegs. I'd like to see if we can get a discussion and some thoughts on these kegs. They have been praised but there also seems to be some issues.

Please chime in on any of the topics and anything you can add:

Some questions/thoughts:

1. There is a claim that removing the posts will void the warranty. Can you really expect to clean and sanitize without removing the posts?

2. If the poppets can't be removed reasonably from the posts, how do you get junk out? Will junk get in there?

3. Any issues with rusting? I see some red something in the grooves of where the kegs were stamped/engraved. Can't tell if this is rust forming or some sort of red dye.

4. This might be more of a learning question. If you don't remove the posts and only sanitize by pushing starsan through it under pressure, how you make sure no gunk builds up in either the dip or gas tubes?

Anything else?

I clean my posts/poppets between every beer, but I'm not convinced its necessary. I have never really seen any "gunk". Hop debris seems to be the most common buildup if you dry hop in the keg. I put all my hops(usually whole leaf) in a muslin bag.

Warranty voiding due to post removal seems ridiculous to me. Call the manufacturer to get information directly from them. If this is the case ask them for suggestions in proper cleaning and sanitizing without post/poppet removal.

Inevitably, posts will get fouled. If you can't clear them, you have a dead keg. Totally ridiculous. I wouldn't touch one of those if it cost the same as a good used ball lock keg...

Cheers!

I figure I'm going to take the posts off anyway for cleaning.

I don't know how I'll get any junk out of the poppets if they are clogged. I don't plan on forcing or rigging them up like some folks are able to do.

I hope I didn't make a mistake with these new kegs. I thought by buying these I'd be all set.

I am new to kegging and bought two of these 5 gallon AEB kegs. I'd like to see if we can get a discussion and some thoughts on these kegs. They have been praised but there also seems to be some issues.

Please chime in on any of the topics and anything you can add:

Some questions/thoughts:

1. There is a claim that removing the posts will void the warranty. Can you really expect to clean and sanitize without removing the posts?

I remove my posts without issue. I haven't heard about voiding the warranty by doing so.

2. If the poppets can't be removed reasonably from the posts, how do you get junk out? Will junk get in there?

Poppets can be removed and can be replaced.

3. Any issues with rusting? I see some red something in the grooves of where the kegs were stamped/engraved. Can't tell if this is rust forming or some sort of red dye.

Stainless steel doesn't rust.

4. This might be more of a learning question. If you don't remove the posts and only sanitize by pushing starsan through it under pressure, how you make sure no gunk builds up in either the dip or gas tubes?

Dip tubes and gas tubes are removable just like in any other keg.
Anything else?

Kegconnection.com posted in this forum awhile ago addressing many of the same questions you asked. The AEG stainless steel kegs are well worth the money. A lot of what you've heard about post and poppets isn't true. The kegs are serviceable just like any other keg.

the AEB kegs are awesome, the "Blichmann of Kegs".

Yes removing the posts voids the warrenty. AEB is selling more and more to individuals and fewer to the beverage industry. people do strange things when they attack with the thread galling wrench.

the poppets are replaceable. You're 95% likely to bend/break the poppet on removal. new poppets are available. you can use universal poppets.

Unscrew the posts and submerge in cleaner/sanitizer. Depress the poppet a few times with the corner of a wrench. If you trap some air under first, it will bubble out, letting you know the your solution has made contact with the hidden surfaces.

Old thread but I bought 2 2 1/2 gal. and have a 5 gallon on the way. Kegs are awesome but I have never used the "regular" pepsi keg so I cant compare.

the AEB kegs are awesome, the "Blichmann of Kegs".

Yes removing the posts voids the warrenty. AEB is selling more and more to individuals and fewer to the beverage industry. people do strange things when they attack with the thread galling wrench.

the poppets are replaceable. You're 95% likely to bend/break the poppet on removal. new poppets are available. you can use universal poppets.

Yes, they are awesome. When I order them, I ask the vendor to make sure the posts are removable. I've had some stick before where I could only turn the post a quarter turn then it sticks and won't budge. That happened TWICE and I had to send the keg back. I need to be able to remove the posts...seriously, that warranty thing is REALLY REALLY dumb.
And the universal poppets work PERFECTLY with the AEB keg posts as they're a bit longer than standard corny posts.
They're worth the investment, I think. Just be VERY careful around the lip of the keg opening, it is very sharp!

I have a few, and I love them. They've bee great the last year and a half that I've had them. A bit pricey, but finding decent prices on used/reconditioned kegs is kind of hard these days anyway.

Old post but thought I would chime in seeing as I have just used a Italian 5 gallon for the 1st time.

Beautiful keg has rubber on both sides and you are able to flip it upside down and stand it up to ensure the sanitizer does its job. Voided the warranty day one removing posts and not realizing you shouldn't until reading this thread (my keg arrived sans instruction manual). Removed the posts out of habit and soaked them in starsan along with with the dip tube and small gas tube. This didn't seem a problem at all and would never have ever thought it a problem if not to read this thread. Anyway... I noticed this keg does not have springs under the posts, which I thought a bit strange, but hey if it works who am I to question Italian design.

Did however notice....... when close transferring my brew from a carboy under pressure that it went much slower than usual and was unable to get all of beer transferred since the bottom 3/4 gallon just wouldn't seem to pressurize up my racking cane. After fiddling, too much of the yeast cake had been introduced back into the small amount of beer for my liking, so I let it settle, bottled a couple bottles and dumped the rest.

Anybody else have issues with closed transfers and this type of keg?

It is an NSF AEB 2017 model

Never had a problem racking under pressure to other corny kegs could something just have gone wrong? Certainly had enough Co2 left in my tank. Thinking I will use another keg next time and save this keg for beer that doesn't require low oxygen (closed) transfers.

I've never had issues doing pressure transfers with mine. What psi were you pushing the beer at? If my transfers hit a snag, then I just bump up the psi a tad and that should get it going again. If it doesn't, then you might have a blocked post or tube somewhere.

I have been exclusively using these for about the last 3 years. Had no issues at all. The poppets don't really collect any significant material and even if they did then I would just soak them in pbw. As for the warranty, why do you even need one. After pressure checking on arrival there is little else that can go wrong that a warranty would actually cover. A warranty won't cover leaks because it can occur through miss use, cross threading? That again a user issue. Rust? It 304. prv would be cheaper to replace than postage for a factory repair.

I've never had issues doing pressure transfers with mine. What psi were you pushing the beer at? If my transfers hit a snag, then I just bump up the psi a tad and that should get it going again. If it doesn't, then you might have a blocked post or tube somewhere.
You are probably right about a block in the line. When cleaning the racking cane post transfer I did find pieces of whole hops. I only transfer at 5 psi max because I am afraid to go any higher. Did blow off the carboy cap a couple of times on this transfer and this generally does not happen when transferring to other kegs, but probably was a clog in the line.

Back