Corny Keg Showdown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Corny Keg Brand (if price wasn't a factor)

• AEB (Italian)

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Kegland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Old Ale

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • AMCYL

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Torpedo

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Komos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters

GratefulBear

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in a sort of interlude with brewing/drinking due to needing the time and energy needed to be a Dad. I'm down to about two 1/2 full corny's and commercial brews are a much bigger percentage of what I drink but that's ok, it's research :) I've slowly been working towards efficiency so that when I do brew I can spend more time on the fun stuff (crafting flavors, etc) and less time on the less-fun stuff (cleaning, finding leaks, fixing kegs). I have 8 mismatched used kegs that have done the job, but I've definitely spent time trying to match parts (poppets, posts, etc) deal with broken PRV's work on the lid seal and so on. I think I'm going to sell my 8 used kegs and get 6 new ones and keep all my kegs the same brand going forward for simplicity. I've been researching corny kegs and narrowed it down to AEB (Italian) kegs and Kegland kegs. The AMCYL kegs are made in India or China and seem to have worse reviews. The Old Ale ones seem like they have some bad reviews too. The AEB and Kegland kegs seem to have cleaner welds and less issues with parts/leaks. Also, I don't think those brands are going anywhere so if I get more or need parts in the future, I should be able to keep everything uniform. However, I read some reviews about the AEB kegs having sharp edges on the lid opening and cutting people's hands. Also, only one of my normal go-to retailers carry AEB kegs (morebeer). Can anyone chime in on their experience with AEB/Kegland kegs?

AEB
Longstanding reputation
Clean welds
-Possible sharp edges
-Typically more expensive than Kegland
-Available from less homebrewing websites

Kegland
Typically less expensive than AEB
Clean welds I believe
Available from more homebrewing websites

We have some parallels in kegging.... I'm done with buying used ones myself for the same reasons, heck; I'm old and breaking down and even 10 years ago I'd have recommended buying used, but most of the good ones are gone and I suspect dealers are scraping out the corners of wharehouses where the bad kegs have been left sitting for 30-odd years.
I have 3 AEB's and 3 Kegland's and I love them both; The AEB does have a sharp edge around the mouth, but it's not that hard to avoid cutting myself when using a scrubby-pad on the bottom... It's rock-solid with perfect welds... I should mention, mine are the single-strap topped ones I wanted so I'd have more space to reach around when it's in my kegerator. If money were no object, I'd buy all AEB, but money is a thing with me so.. The Kegland's I got for $30-50 less. They're beautifully built and the only very mild concern I have is the rubber handles; They're a bit softer than old kegs and while I forsee no problem with them (in fact they're easier on the hand when carrying) I do wonder if they'll last 30 years. ..Like I said; very mild concern and if a handle breaks in 10 years, I'll still feel I got my money's worth. I've been impressed with my Kegland's enough that my only reason to buy any more AEB's is for the strap-handle and the extra space it gives me.

Well, it's pretty unlikely that I'll last 30 years, so yeah, very mild concern.

If the premise is that price isn't a factor then it's gotta be AEB, right?
That's the thing: I suspect it will last 30+ years! The reason I voted AEB is the strap-handles, but that's one of those 'appropriate for my setup'... I have the Kegland Series-X kegerator and it fits 4 genuine ball lock kegs, but doesn't have a lot of overhead space and given physical issues I have, it's difficult to get the disconnects on/off on the 2 kegs in the back. Converted pin-locks are just a bit too wide to get 4 of them in there, and that rules out Torpedo for me as well. I've read mostly good things about Torpedo's and if I were in a position to have a slightly larger kegerator or keezer, I'd probably have tried them out. The cheap Chinese ones that come in sizes from 1.6-6.5 Gallons have rather thin handles, and while they do allow for that extra diconnect-handling space, the weight of a full 5G one is such that the top surface of the keg flexes more than I'm comfortable with owing to the small weld footprint of the handle. ..plus; they're even a bit wider than pin-locks and I don't like the convexed bottom.
If going only with rubber-handled kegs, money being unimportant, I'd probably just get more Kegland's. For a company that you know builds things to a price-point, these are impressively high quality kegs.

it's pretty unlikely that I'll last 30 years
I suspect it will last 30+ years!
I mean I'd really like to outlive my kegs. But as I said, that seems unlikely. And if I do, brewing will probably be a faded memory.
The cheap Chinese ones that come in sizes from 1.6-6.5 Gallons have rather thin handles..
I have a couple of the 1.6 gallon ones, but I don't think I'd buy any larger ones for the reasons you cite. I got a great price on the minis, but the bigger ones really aren't even much of a bargain.

We have some parallels in kegging.... I'm done with buying used ones myself for the same reasons, heck; I'm old and breaking down and even 10 years ago I'd have recommended buying used, but most of the good ones are gone and I suspect dealers are scraping out the corners of wharehouses where the bad kegs have been left sitting for 30-odd years.
I have 3 AEB's and 3 Kegland's and I love them both; The AEB does have a sharp edge around the mouth, but it's not that hard to avoid cutting myself when using a scrubby-pad on the bottom... It's rock-solid with perfect welds... I should mention, mine are the single-strap topped ones I wanted so I'd have more space to reach around when it's in my kegerator. If money were no object, I'd buy all AEB, but money is a thing with me so.. The Kegland's I got for $30-50 less. They're beautifully built and the only very mild concern I have is the rubber handles; They're a bit softer than old kegs and while I forsee no problem with them (in fact they're easier on the hand when carrying) I do wonder if they'll last 30 years. ..Like I said; very mild concern and if a handle breaks in 10 years, I'll still feel I got my money's worth. I've been impressed with my Kegland's enough that my only reason to buy any more AEB's is for the strap-handle and the extra space it gives me.
Nice! Thanks for the info! Would you say the welds are about as good on the Kegland kegs as AEB?

Strangely, Yes. I'm an old enough DIY'er to remember the flood of pure garbage that replaced domestic production when the floodgates of trade with China were opened in the 90's, and I'll always be bitter about the consequences. Over time though, I gotta admit I'm seeing a lot of the level of quality in build and materials that's been missing here since the 70's.
Here's the Kegland welds:
IMG_1448.jpg

I've been lucky with my used kegs; only one has a slightly off-kilter opening that requires one certain lid and a LOT of keg lube to seal. I have learned (the hard way) that keg maintenance is very important.

The only new (not previously used) keg I've bought is a 2.5g Kegland, and I couldn't be happier with it. If I had the $$ I'd go with their 5.5g new ones to replace my old ones.

I've been lucky with my used kegs; only one has a slightly off-kilter opening that requires one certain lid and a LOT of keg lube to seal. I have learned (the hard way) that keg maintenance is very important.

The only new (not previously used) keg I've bought is a 2.5g Kegland, and I couldn't be happier with it. If I had the $$ I'd go with their 5.5g new ones to replace my old ones.
I have one like that.. Have you tried an oversized o-ring? ...didn't entirely 'fix' but made mine a lot easier!

I also have one keg with a finicky lid/opening combo. I tried an over-sized Buna-N lid O-ring from Williams Brewing which made it very hard to close the lid, as well as an over-sized silicone O-ring which was far easier to seal but silicone is a sketchy plastic to use on a keg.

It was the very last (16th) used keg I purchased, and I'd only use it if the other 15 kegs had beer in them. When I built my 3rd keezer I installed a drip tray with an integrated rinser, and relegated keg #16 as the water supply for the rinser. Got it sealed up and filled with pressurized water which gets recharged as needed and haven't touched it in a couple of years now. Problem solved :)

Cheers!

All of my kegs are used ones I purchased throughout the years. I have rebuilt them a couple times now. Times are different now with all the new stuff out there, as many posters have mentioned. When I was picking up used kegs that's all there was - and there were a ton of them!

All said, if I were in the market for kegs now, I'd buy new. Micromatic at $185 versus AMCYL at $100 (single handled ones at Amazon for $84). Not bad. I certainly could clear out my stash of used.

I just got 2 of the Kegland 2.5 gallon kegs. All the welds look great. One is perfect. One has galled threads on the out post. I f#!ked up and recycled the boxes before I noticed. Doh! I've had several small issues with MoreBeer over the years but they've ALWAYS made it right with no hassle. Fingers crossed.

:mug:

Edit to add: As usual, MoreBeer is shipping out a replacement with zero hassle.

Last edited:
Love my old Italian kegs and they work perfectly with my keg level indicators. I had a friend trying the kegs from Kegland and he had some issues with the magnets wanting to stick to their Stainless steel. I did some reading and found that good stainless is almost 100% non-magnetic while cheaper SS will hold a magnet so that is a good test.

You may have noticed this but the single strap versions seem to be lighter as well. I like them better myself overall as well as I have a tight space to get them into my keezer due to a low ceiling and on the fly design changes I made when building and assembling.

Hey @GratefulBear if you are patient and watch carefully you can generally pick up some almost new kegs from people exiting the hobby, watch the FB marketplace and other places. Even if it is a specific brand you are interested in. I embarked on the basic idea of your approach and got rid of all my converted pin locks and scooped up about 7 near new kegs, none more than $60. It's easiest to do if there is a group of kegs being sold. Easy to spot because they won't be all beat up. Even if you want the most premium brands you'll still save a good bit.

It also seems like most new kegs are using universal poppets and what looks like universal posts although the second aren't guarenteed to be near universal as thread sizes may differ. Perhaps the newer keg manufacturers are using more standardized threads but I don't know if that is true.

To OP, I really appreciate this thread. I'll be looking at what to purchase soon and looks like Kegland gets good marks, even with no votes. I did some price checking and unfortunately I can't get these direct. Kegland offers a $99 AUD (or ~$65 USD) on their website. Great deal! I can only get these from Moorebeer at almost twice the cost! $119. I get these are imports but a 83% markup seems high, even with duties included.

I sent a message to Moorebeer to inquire about a price match. You never know (except I do :no:)

To OP, I really appreciate this thread. I'll be looking at what to purchase soon and looks like Kegland gets good marks, even with no votes. I did some price checking and unfortunately I can't get these direct. Kegland offers a $99 AUD (or ~$65 USD) on their website. Great deal! I can only get these from Moorebeer at almost twice the cost! $119. I get these are imports but a 83% markup seems high, even with duties included.

I sent a message to Moorebeer to inquire about a price match. You never know (except I do :no:)
With the holidays at our doorstep I'd keep an eye on all of the sales coming up for kegs. Also check out the numerous sites for bundles. I've seen four packs for very reasonable pricing sometimes with free shipping. I wouldn't rule out a local place if you have any near your location.

I would stay away from Torpedo. I ordered several torpedo kegs as I do like the design, and I’ve also ordered their stainless picnic taps. The machine quality on both are low quality. The keg posts are wavy and while this hasn’t been a problem yet, I expect it will eventually become a point of leaking beer or leaking CO2. I’ll see if I can find a picture. The picnic taps have rough machining on the inside. Just low quality IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_0337.jpeg
    IMG_0337.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0336.jpeg
    IMG_0336.jpeg
    954.4 KB · Views: 0
I would stay away from Torpedo. I ordered several torpedo kegs as I do like the design, and I’ve also ordered their stainless picnic taps. The machine quality on both are low quality. The keg posts are wavy and while this hasn’t been a problem yet, I expect it will eventually become a point of leaking beer or leaking CO2. I’ll see if I can find a picture. The picnic taps have rough machining on the inside. Just low quality IMO.
Looks like those threads were hand cut with a file. Poor quality doesn't even come close to describe that.

My 7 Amcyl strap-handle kegs have been great. All bought new.

One had a lid flaw (bad weld at the PRV mount), so the vendor, kegerator.com, sent a whole new replacement keg, so I got my 7th keg for the price of a replacement lid!

Meanwhile in 2023, I'm still waffling between Pin Lock, Ball Lock, or a hybrid setup. Curse the misfortune of cheap used kegs!!!

I bought my Torpedo from Morebeer about 3 years ago. No problems so far, but with that said it will probably start leaking tomorrow. LOL I have about 11 others I have been going thru to check for leaks and so far, out of the 5 I have done, 3 have held strong. Unfortunately they are all too tall for my kegerator unless I fool with the freezer shelf, and I don't want to do that.

Meanwhile in 2023, I'm still waffling between Pin Lock, Ball Lock, or a hybrid setup. Curse the misfortune of cheap used kegs!!!
On the keg front I'm not sure what a hybrid would be but I'm open to see. Despite the down falls of either ball lock or pins they have been around for a long time and there's a lot of connectivity options for both so it's a matter of which you want to use.

I'm all into ball lock but when I got my first kegs that's all there was. All of my kegs are old, not as old as me but really darn old, and rebuildable. Not sure I am though.

I’ve got five torpedo serving kegs of various volumes and one six-gallon torpedo that I use for pressure fermenting. I use a bucket blaster for routine cleaning/sanitizing and rarely do a full disassembly of all components. I haven’t experienced any leaks yet.

Back