Let's see pics of your outside brew BIAB setup.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbeachroach

Reaction score
Hey guys wanted to get some ideas of your setup for your brew day.

Anyone use an elevated burner to make post racking easier?

Would love to see the pics.

This seat taken? I’m here to see with you.

I BIAB at the edge of the garage.
I have a pulley on the open garage door to hang the bag.
I can’t raise the burner any higher because the bag just clears the kettle now.
The kettle’s not high enough to rack into the fermenter.
I’m hauling 6 gallons up on a bench every brew.

Doughing in would be more difficult if the kettle was higher.
Step stool maybe?

Dude that is totally my dilemma, I want to make 10 gallon batches and have no idea how to elevate a burner yet....

brewing wall.jpg
brewing wall 2.jpg
brewing wall 3.jpg
brewing cart.jpg
brew cart 2.jpg
brewing dock.jpg

I elevated my burner so I could drain into my fermenter. Works great.

I brew in the dock area of my shop. When the weather is nice the big door gets opened, if the weather is nasty the big door stays closed. I put in shelves, pegs, rings, etc., to hold my stuff, along with an overhead point for lifting the bag. On a pretty day I will sit outside, because I'm blessed with a beautiful location with a great view.

There's no water on that end of the building, so I re-purposed and re-built a rusty old garden hose reel cart into a brewing cart. That way I don't have to carry heavy vessels of water/wort. To get started I put the empty kettle on the cart, and fill it with a short garden hose attached to the sink faucet. I roll it back to the dock area. When I'm finished brewing I put the fermenter in the cart and drain directly into it, then roll it back to my fermentation fridge.

I chill by recirculating, first from a 5gal bucket of water, then from a cooler filled with ice water. The first 5gal becomes the hot water I use for cleanup, and the water in the cooler is used for rinsing. I do my cleanup right outside the big door, on the dock.

All in all it's very efficient. It's cost efficient, all the wood pieces were made from scrap, and the old hose reel cart was given to me. It's labor efficient to use, with minimal lifting/carrying of water. My conversion efficiency is good too, last brew I hit 82.9%.

View attachment 555638 View attachment 555639 View attachment 555640 View attachment 555641 View attachment 555643 View attachment 555646

I brew in the dock area of my shop. When the weather is nice the big door gets opened, if the weather is nasty the big door stays closed. I put in shelves, pegs, rings, etc., to hold my stuff, along with an overhead point for lifting the bag. On a pretty day I will sit outside, because I'm blessed with a beautiful location with a great view.

There's no water on that end of the building, so I re-purposed and re-built a rusty old garden hose reel cart into a brewing cart. That way I don't have to carry heavy vessels of water/wort. To get started I put the empty kettle on the cart, and fill it with a short garden hose attached to the sink faucet. I roll it back to the dock area. When I'm finished brewing I put the fermenter in the cart and drain directly into it, then roll it back to my fermentation fridge.

I chill by recirculating, first from a 5gal bucket of water, then from a cooler filled with ice water. The first 5gal becomes the hot water I use for cleanup, and the water in the cooler is used for rinsing. I do my cleanup right outside the big door, on the dock.

All in all it's very efficient. It's cost efficient, all the wood pieces were made from scrap, and the old hose reel cart was given to me. It's labor efficient to use, with minimal lifting/carrying of water. My conversion efficiency is good too, last brew I hit 82.9%.

Very well done sir. I like the creativity I have never seen a brew wall built.

View attachment 555638 View attachment 555639 View attachment 555640 View attachment 555641 View attachment 555643 View attachment 555646

Very organized. It's so unlike me!! :D I love the idea of the small cart. I brew on my back patio and moving my fermenter at the conclusion of the brew day seems to be getting harder, and more of a pain in the back as I get older.

Mine is about as simple as it gets. There is an eyehook in the patio roof where the bag hoist gets attached. I do have a cooler full of ice and water with a pump to run the wort chiller.
brew1.jpg
chiller.jpg

Physical, but tidy. Everything fits inside one another. Need to build cord and cart. Cant store stuff outside and cord not long enough to reach garage. Brew manually, ten gallon batches with two bags and my arms are the wench. Not getting youger though. These are the only pics i have right now.
20180224_170808.jpg
20180224_155936.jpg
20180224_144407.jpg
20180224_142103.jpg

Here’s mine! Top part breaks down for storage and it’s on wheels. Two 15 gallon BIAB kettles means I could brew 20 gallons at once, if I was so bold

Attachments

• E84B0E3A-F14D-409B-84D8-15E64A26DFAE.jpeg
    E84B0E3A-F14D-409B-84D8-15E64A26DFAE.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 297
  • CC3908C0-B5B9-4C9A-A39B-AB67E727EAB9.jpeg
    CC3908C0-B5B9-4C9A-A39B-AB67E727EAB9.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 278
View attachment 555643

Love that cart!

This is sort of indoor/outdoor. It's in a garage with doors at either end to open up during boil. Burner is an induction cooktop which is elevated as you can see on a folding ladder and plyo box. With this elevation and ten-foot ceiling, I can just get kettle and bag high enough to do all gravity - 5 gallon batches. Wort flows through plate chiller (Therminator) by gravity into the fermenter which is on a cart and gets wheeled inside (right now my only "temp control" is the thermostat).
IMG_7444.jpeg

Here's a video of the flow rate:

Last edited:
Mine is about as simple as it gets. There is an eyehook in the patio roof where the bag hoist gets attached. I do have a cooler full of ice and water with a pump to run the wort chiller.

You might have some competition. Ported kettle? Pump?!?

The stand of my burner (from Home Depot many years ago) is high enough that I can transfer into my fermenter using my auto-siphon. When I was using my glass carboy I would move the kettle into my "transfer station" (a chest cooler sitting on the toilet in my basement bathroom).

20190106_103317.jpg

I t4ied to make it simple and moveable. I brew on my back deck and hated having to move the kettle to transfer to fermentor. I made it just high enough to transfer from my bottom valve.

Attachments

• 062F6256-B0DE-4527-9AF2-79608400C87D.jpeg
    062F6256-B0DE-4527-9AF2-79608400C87D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 161
DE905869-23DA-45DB-BA23-2A0B92AEF42D.jpeg
KISS-using the available patio furniture. The screen doesn’t block too much wind, for obvious reasons. Its repair is on the honey-do list. The smoker is for malt, too.

No hoist yet, just squeezing the bag with a strainer over the MT.

I use a pump to transfer wort to my Spike CF 5.
I also use a dbl copper coil setup to cool my water (in ice)before it enters the coil in the wort.
1811B8E6-EC32-4F9C-98E1-C2DC676840A4.jpeg
The hose water here is rarely cool enough to get my wort below 100 degrees.

...I also use a dbl copper coil setup to cool my water (in ice) before it enters the coil in the wort...

Nice rig!

Try recirculating the ice water through your immersion chiller, rather than using the ice water as a prechiller for your tap water. I first recirculate from a bucket of tap water, then switch to recirculating from a cooler filled with water & 20lb of ice. It works great, and creates the hot & warm water I need for cleanup.

Nice rig!

Try recirculating the ice water through your immersion chiller, rather than using the ice water as a prechiller for your tap water. I first recirculate from a bucket of tap water, then switch to recirculating from a cooler filled with water & 20lb of ice. It works great, and creates the hot & warm water I need for cleanup.

Same here! I use a harbor freight pump and it’s much faster than the prechiller setup.

Back