It's freezing out and I'm stuck inside. If you're brewing, post a pic of what you're doing today.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just cleared out 10" of snow and am taking the family XC Skiing and/or sledding after lunch. Then either this evening or tomorrow, I'm brewing up @Braufessor NEIPA recipe before shutting down my brew space for the artic blast about to hit.
Post a pic tomorrow then...there's about 3" of ice on my van...I'm going nowhere for a while.
:bigmug:

We have about 10” of snow on the ground. Not real cold but windy. Didn’t brew but here is the 11 gallons of the brut rye IPA I just finished bottling.

IMG_9864.jpeg

I'm "Brewing Adjacent", having prepped to brew my third go at resurrecting the original Ballantine IPA tomorrow - indoors 😁

Have the RO system filling the brew rig, went ahead and milled the grains that needed milling (flaked corn didn't), got the carboys ready for filling, and the kegs ready for purging...

prep_13jan2024.jpg

Cheers!

Sorry everyone is suffering. Here in Florida, this winter has been glorious. We've had some hot winters, but this one has been fantastic. It's 63 degrees out. I can mow without soaking my clothes with sweat.
Yessir! I've been fermenting beers and sake on the back patio because of the nice cool temps.

No one likes ice, but warm weather can get boring. I have an expensive leather jacket I haven't worn since 2003. No opportunity. And I got bit by mosquitoes last month.

Here in MN we like ice on our water. Even on the road isn't that big of a deal once most of the knuckleheads have regained their winter legs. I say most because not all do. We usually hear about those on the news.

Yeah, I've been on I-75 a number of times in FL and up to and around Atlanta.

I think I set a personal record for number of times passing the same car on I-75. One minute they're going 85 next minute 55.

My grandfather had 4 daughters, and they were all good drivers. Snow, ice, rain, twisty mountain roads, you name it. Parallel parking was never a problem. At least two of them raced when they were young. This was all normal in Eastern Kentucky.

When they got married, Gramps bought three of the girls cars. One specified a 360-HP Thunderbird. Another got a 4-speed convertible Corvette with a 365-HP 327. Years later, another one needed a car, so she ordered a '70 Skylark with a 455 "to get up and down these hills." The base 455 had 510 lb.ft.. of torque. Unfortunately, my mom got stuck with a DeSoto. But she drove my 4-speed Z28 like a man. Completely wound it out in first gear. She was very critical of my manual-transmission driving when I got the car.

When I lived in Miami, a woman asked me to switch seats with her and put her Honda Accord in a space she thought was too tight. Head-in. Disgraceful. No one down there can drive at all.

Where I live, there are three types of drivers who consistently disappoint. Ancient retirees, people from up north, and people from South Florida.

1705267731705.png

not today but yesterday i brewed my second AG batch ever in my AIO . a golden lager. overshot my numbers but it looks amazin gand the wort was insanely clear on transfer. no whirpool arm just several good circular stirs, letting it settle for 10 mins, a whirfloc, bazooka screen and strained through the spider which was prolly not needed.

1705267983343.png

Took the opportunity to brew an IPA today. Nothing special, just looking to redeem myself since my last IPA got extremely oxidized during packaging, which I suspect was because I filtered the beer and the housing was not purged properly, not sealed properly or both. This one has 4oz of citra/mosaic/galaxy (1:1:2 ratio) and is being fermented with Verdant IPA. Once fermentation is done I’ll soft crash to 50, dry hop with another 4 oz and let that sit for 3 days before cold crashing and packaging. I’m just going to use biofine this time. No filtering.

Everything went pretty smoothly! Little short on pics but here’s a few shots and my final stats.

Attachments

• A39E9CFB-805E-4D22-AB7E-A4E457CD63EC.png
    A39E9CFB-805E-4D22-AB7E-A4E457CD63EC.png
    485.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2EB3BE97-AD75-4ADD-96DB-2FAE08A43CD8.jpeg
    2EB3BE97-AD75-4ADD-96DB-2FAE08A43CD8.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 132EA0C4-DB63-439B-ACD6-449A95DF132F.jpeg
    132EA0C4-DB63-439B-ACD6-449A95DF132F.jpeg
    630 KB · Views: 0
  • 0A0A0C08-BB88-463D-98C5-D62CD9886BB2.jpeg
    0A0A0C08-BB88-463D-98C5-D62CD9886BB2.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I did brew a Berlinner Weisse yesterday. 50/50 Weyermann Barke Pilsner and Rahr White Wheat.

It was a multiple step mash following the guidlines in Eric Warner's "German Wheat Beers"

mill copy.jpg

My brew assistant, Rosie, always makes sure the mill is cleaned up after use.

mill cleaning copy.jpg

The mash went fine and all steps were hit

Mash.jpg

Lauter was very easy.

Lauter.jpg

All in all a smooth brew day. The beer is in the fermenter with Philly Sour yeast at 80F. Tomorrow I will add a quart of tart cherry concentrate.

Well, Mr. Crow, you and and I are in the same boat, er, tree…nest? I’m trapped on an icy hill in Oregon and a full continent away from my brewery, but I didn’t let that stop me yesterday. I made 4lbs of invert #2 and you can too!

Here are some pictures for you. Here we are just past boiling.
F3FF8F77-2250-45DB-A42B-34A4A4D2EAA4.jpeg

And here we are still driving some water off but we’re starting to pick up some color.
E72D906A-D25E-4D3B-80FB-2DB578C6ED8B.jpeg

Now we’re getting somewhere! Roughly invert #1, but there’s still a fair ol’ whack of bubbles working their way out.
3C1FA7E2-229E-4C85-8CAD-8628FFFBFE7A.jpeg

Rounding third and there’s very little bubbling. Color is just about there.
A55C08D4-FC3D-4813-B992-EECCB66A4AD2.jpeg

And we’re done!
C9A0D13C-B61D-444B-AC2C-A1E26DC4E55C.jpeg

Here’s a link to a good thread with the process.

I don't have cold problems down here LOL. Mid 70's today.

Kegged a Smoked Serrano Pepper Pale Ale. Hydro sample was awesome. I'm pretty stoked - it's my first pepper beer. Not sure why, I grow various peppers year round. You can see some seed starters on the bench there.

1706141107649.png

Back